SFF Rebuild Project: Just another W/C'd SG05

Soldato
I would be using the onboard i3 gfx as it would be a internet/media machine.

Onboard, have a read of my thread, I used a lian-li q08 and it very quiet, stock coller, onboard gfx, quiet psu, some pitfalls, not many, but it works very nicely as my server box, and is very quiet.

Soldato
OP
Well after some obscene MCP temps and CTDs during gaming it's time to revisit cooling options... That H/S Zotac supply is nothing short of useless, looking at a copper HS with a 60mm fan as its replacement. For now I've ghett-ro-fitted an 80mm Sharkoon fan on top of it so I can keep gaming in this warmth.

Then again, I might start plotting a mod on the H50 to incorporate an NB block...

Soldato
OP
Slight change for this dreary and wet Saturday morning, but at least it's worth an update. :) Apologies for the mobile pics, camera is over at a mate's.

Despite the Celeron's good clock speed, have started to notice it lagging in a few things which obviously is down to it's puny cache. So courtesy of jessjess, there's an e8400 now living where the Celeron once called home. Currently working on OCing it, I doubt I'll see 4ghz again but the FSB has made it a darn sight higher on this chip than the last which is good as the e8400 has 3.5x less multiplier to play with. 3.4ghz at the moment on stock volts...

As the e8400 will undoubtedly run hotter, I've decided to up the cooling a little on the H50:

ui2ik3b96361c1eviewattth12a706d9aae.jpg

Couple of weeks ago I changed the stock Corsair fan out for a Fractal Designs 120mm, however whilst quiet it really isn't suited for pulling air through a radiator. So now have 2x 120mm Noctuas in push pull, one off the mobo header and the other on a 5v step down to keep the noise levels down.

Load temps at 52 after 35 mins of Orthos with the new setup on the e8400, case on (@ 3.4ghz). So not too bad.

ui2ik3b96361c1eviewattth12a706f12ed.jpg

One bummer with the extra fan is that it pushes the rad further towards the graphics card end. It all fits, just! However the card is slightly pushed out, but nothing too extreme.

Pretty snug!

ui2ik3b96361c1eviewattth12a706e79b2.jpg

The best thing to come out of all of this is the extra fan really ups the amount of air flow in the case, which is a real bonus all round. The MCP temps have dropped as well (more so than just adding the 40mm Fractal Designs fan), so I'm considering losing the 40mm if things continue to go well.

Back
Top Bottom