Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Associate
Reviews aren’t looking great. TR is one of my favourite gaming franchises and have loved the reboots. Do you think maybe they’re being harsh as the story is weak? I had a feeling it might be a bit poor as it’s a different studio to the other two.

Be interesting to see what people make of it. Dissapointed to see 6’s, TR should be aiming for 9’s or 10’s!

Associate
OP
Thanks you’ve all given me encouragement. I really liked the first two so I guess I’ll really like this. I’m quite happy with more of the same tbh. If it ain’t broke...

Edit: just seen IGN have given it a 9. Massive disparity between review scores for this one then. That’s enough to make my mind up to get this once I’ve finished Spider-Man.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Gonna wait until this gets a response time patch. How they can release games with poor response times for movement is unbelievable really.

Associate
OP
It is quite bad. You cannot track if something moves fast across the screen. It's too slow. There is a slow movement delay then it's like acceleration kicks in then overshoots all the time. I have the sensitivity maxed out.

I haven't seen anything on their forums about it.

Hope they patch this soon

Associate
OP
Really enjoying it. Graphics for me are beautiful. Problem is they’re so lovely, I tend to forget about the story and just stand there looking around in awe, hammering the screenshot button.

Thought it was just me that loves doing that! Haha. Sounds like my kind of game then lol. You playing on the pro? HDR nice?

Associate
OP
Can’t help but feel this has to go down as somewhat of a letdown based on what I’ve read and the general lack of buzz on here.

I will get it but AC odyssey is out next week, my only concern with that will be bugs that need patching. Need to finish Spider man first.

Associate
OP
To be fair there's a lack of buzz around most games in this sub-forum lately!

From my time with the new TR so far, it's more of the same, just a bit bigger and a bit better. If you enjoyed the previous ones you'll like this one, but there's nothing drastically new or improved. The level design, traversal, exploration is still great, the new tombs and crypts are very impressive and often more complicated, and the ability to remove some of the handholding features makes it more immersive.

That said, the storyline is still naff and the characters, despite being their best iterations of themselves so far, are still boring people. Lara comes across as genuinely socially awkward at times which would actually be quite endearing if it was done properly, but instead it just feels like bad writing. Facial and character animations are in the uncanny valley too, after Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy this feels like going back in time a bit. I can see why it was criticised in reviews because after three games, they've made almost no improvement at all.

Thanks for that. I’ll definitely get it at some point.

Associate
OP
Just picked this up as got £40 for Spider-Man from CEX. Love TR and looking forward to getting stuck into this!

Associate
OP
Been looking at getting this, I have completed Spider-Man and I am looking to cure the itch until Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out...Worth getting?

I've played the previous 2 of the reboot, is it basically more of the same?

Seems like it so far which isn’t a bad thing right? Massive upgrade in Gfx though; reflections in water are the best I’ve seen I think. Playing on a pro. Only an hour in mind.

Associate
OP
Anybody else find lara’s Movement in this a bit weird. Like she doesn’t know whether to run or walk, not very smooth?

EDIT: tried another controller and that’s fine. My controller must be dodgy!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
How are you finding the game so far? Is it a worthy purchase at £40ish? I keep toying with the idea of getting it, but just keep thinking its nothing that is going to blow me away

Really good so far 2 hours in; if you like the other 2 you’ll like this. Playing with headphones on (ps 2.0) and the sound is fantastic. On hard difficulty it’s great as they’ve removed the hud and waypoints so exploring is improved.

Associate
OP
Any overall tips to make puzzle solving easier? Playing on hard and don’t really want to lessen the difficulty for puzzles or they’re just pointless but also don’t want to not play the game because I’m stuck. Currently at trial of the Eagle. Trying to avoid just watching YouTube vids as want to try and actually do the puzzles.

Any overall tips which really help for puzzles. Tried a challenge tomb but gave up on that also.

*Edit: just done it! Maybe I’m just very slow at these haha*

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Surprised at how poor Lara’s character model is. Don’t get me wrong it’s not terrible but given how brilliant certain scenes look in this game primarily because of the stunning lighting her model seems somewhat soft. Nowhere near the level of HZD, Uncharted, Spider-Man, GOW, The Order 1886 (underated technical marvel) ;)

Associate
OP
Just finished this. 6/10 from me. Worst of the 3 though still an ok game. Location gets boring, Uncharted was great as it moved around the world. Lost Legacy did a much better version of effectively the same story with characters you actually cared about.

Still I enjoyed it as I love Tomb Raider as played it since TR2 on pc. I reckon the next will be in Egypt and have dinosaurs in it haha.

Associate
OP
Worst of the trilogy. Real lack of locations too, everything started to look very samey. Still love TR though and always will.

Back
Top Bottom