【share】PCI-E Armor benefit? True or not?

Associate
PCI-E Armor benefit? True or not? what do you think?
do you notice the Armor on motherboard? I notice.
Gigabyte called PCI-E Armor & MSI called PCI-E Steel Armor.
But the interesting , ASUS does not seem these.
"what is special for Armor ?" this my question.
best outlook ? like iron Man? best? I don't know.

zRVgdYJ.png

"reinforces the PCIe connectors to provide the extra strength required to support heavy graphics cards." from gigabyte & MSI website.

I think means " descrease the damage if you put heavy high-end graphics card on it."

what do you think?

Z170 GAMING Motherboard list

QCHgNPc.png

Man of Honour
Just another gimmick that tries to imply that their boards are better than anyone elses plus it add's to the cost. I have never broken a pci or pci-e slot and I have had some big cards with heavy copper water blocks hanging off them.

Maybe MSI should get their priorities right and sort out their awful bios flashing tools before adding unneccessary gimmicks to their boards.

Caporegime
I have them on my gigabyte designare (that's being rma'd), they have some gimmicky double locking mechanism as well. That being said I don't recall ever seeing someone tearing off a pci-e slot with a heavy gpu. Maybe it can possibly wear on the traces to some degree and this prevents it? Its not like it aids in stopping the cards sagging or anything.

Soldato
I have them on my gigabyte designare (that's being rma'd), they have some gimmicky double locking mechanism as well. That being said I don't recall ever seeing someone tearing off a pci-e slot with a heavy gpu. Maybe it can possibly wear on the traces to some degree and this prevents it? Its not like it aids in stopping the cards sagging or anything.

Yeah i think gimmick also, i've seen sumone tear off their pcie socket but i think he just forgot to unlock it and it just ripped the whole thing off, so nothing to do with a heavy card just stupidity :)

Caporegime
Load of rubbish. Even the slot catches are more annoying than useful.

Especially when you have 2 gpu's, having to get your hand in-between them and fumble about for that bloody little latch. That can easily flex the cards and put pressure on the slot. In the past I've used a piece of wood to unclip it but its easy for it to slip off and doink the board. :eek:

"Military class" components! remember that?

I'm still clueless as to what that means, do they come plasti dipped in camo paint? Supposedly tougher components but I don't see how they can actually prove that. Just a marketing tag slapped onto the box.

Man of Honour
I'm still clueless as to what that means, do they come plasti dipped in camo paint? Supposedly tougher components but I don't see how they can actually prove that. Just a marketing tag slapped onto the box.

Actually there is something to it - electronic components especially capacitors, regulators and the likes are classified in different groups the main 3 being commercial, automotive and military (which is usually also the aerospace classification) the main difference being the temperature ranges they are designed for but covers other aspects of their performance and durability as well.

Associate
i would expect the PCB on the card to break before the slot tbh. Feels like a complete gimmick. As long as you've got it screwed into your case then you're taking the majority of the load off.

Caporegime
Actually there is something to it - electronic components especially capacitors, regulators and the likes are classified in different groups the main 3 being commercial, automotive and military (which is usually also the aerospace classification) the main difference being the temperature ranges they are designed for but covers other aspects of their performance and durability as well.

Realistically its pointless though, they position these boards as having some kind of advantage over "lesser" boards but in regular use there's no difference. Maybe there might be in some extreme circumstance but for 99% of us I'd say no.

Associate
I've used a mobo with the "armored" slots recently and there was very minimal sag on the graphics card, could have been the graphics card, case, motherboard or a combination of things.

Think it looks quite cool though if you can fit it in your colour scheme.

Back
Top Bottom