Sharing a media library between two houses that have a wireless bridge?

Soldato
Not sure how to search for this anywhere else - simple enough question I hope: two houses, two net connections, but I want them to share (in the first instance) a NAS in one house over the wireless rather than going through the internet... Possible without crazy expensive equipment?

Before anyone suggests using some kind of sync over the Internet - I appreciate this is probably the 'easier' way of doing things - and most reliable in that there's a copy. However, one house has 0.5M upload with unlimited bandwidth and the other has 50M upload but limited bandwidth of 50G a month...!

I'm going to guess at a router at either end to put the NAS on a different subnet, but each house's router is still the default gateway? Security isn't the main concern with the separation, it's just making sure that each house uses its own connection rather than potentially unreliable wireless (that's another thing that will need investigating further down the line).

Hope that all makes sense?! When I get near a mouse, I'll draw a diagram.

Soldato
OP
Whoops, I was longer away from the Internet than anticipated...

Is laying a cat5e cable totally out of the question?

Yeah, it's a residential street.

Reliability of the wireless connection will depend on the distances between the two houses. Using typical wireless-G/N and throughput speeds can suffer within the same household let alone crossing between borders.

It's about 50 yards, getting it working in theory would be the first thing, then I guess we can tweak the transport mechanism.

Why not upgrade the two Internet connections to fast upload speeds AND no limits?

It would cost me ~£30 extra a month. For the purposes needed, I figure that purpose built wireless equipment can be had cheaper.

You could make a virtual lan on house 'b's' router that is an extension of the wireless internet at house 'a'. Then any shares should be visible.

I thought VLANs would be the way to go - still want to protect against things like being able to access stuff other than in the VLAN, so if this is only one sided would there be access in one direction to other equipment?

Back
Top Bottom