Sharing My Experience with My Ethernet Connection

Associate
I thought I would take a moment and share what I have experienced recently with my home network connection.

I got a new Internet service provider since the local one I was using had too many dropped connections and my job depends on being online. But at least the modem was in the office and I could use an Ethernet cable to connect to my desktop computer to the Internet without using WIFI. This has not been the case with my new connection. The modem was in the living room. So I had to find a way to connect my desktop computer using wifi. This meant I had to buy a stick-like device and plug it into a USB port as a sort of antenna

But I had issues with this. Sometimes the connection dropped. After a while I have resorted to having an Ethernet cable go from my living room to my office. And this is where I am now. Any thoughts? It works. And, as the expression goes, "if it is not broken, don't fix it" but maybe I should be looking ahead to a better solution.

Last edited:
Associate
Any power appliance in your kitchen may have interfered with wireless -kettle, washing machine, microwave, heck, even sometimes people walking between router and your workstation can in extreme cases cause it.

Wired is best solution, powerline second, but maybe reconsider changing position of router itself? My previous copper broadband has master socket in my bedroom, but all of my equipment is in salon.
For while I had CAT6's running from bedroom to my daughter comp and separate to rest of my equipment where I had switch to divide for my home lab/comps..

But I got annoyed, so I run 20m long RJ-11 cable from bedroom to salon, and reversed data flow to my daughter comp. Not only I lost 2 CAT6 cables for majority of run, also had lost switch in my main area - power consumption maybe wasn't God knows how much, but I did saved some of energy by just buying few pounds worth of phone cable (very small compared t CAT6)

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought I would take a moment and share what I have experienced recently with my home network connection.

I got a new Internet service provider since the local one I was using had too many dropped connections and my job depends on being online. But at least the modem was in the office and I could use an Ethernet cable to connect to my desktop computer to the Internet without using WIFI. This has not been the case with my new connection. The modem was in the living room. So I had to find a way to connect my desktop computer using wifi. This meant I had to buy a stick-like device and plug it into a USB port as a sort of antenna

But I had issues with this. Sometimes the connection dropped. After a while I have resorted to having an Ethernet cable go from my living room to my office. And this is where I am now. Any thoughts? It works. And, as the expression goes, "if it is not broken, don't fix it" but maybe I should be looking ahead to a better solution.

There is no better solution for a desktop computer than a cable connection.

Back
Top Bottom