Shed Base and Pallets

Associate
We’re thinking of getting a new shed, 10x6 possibly a bit bigger. Has anyone ever used wooden pallets for a base, I’ve even seen some Euro size heavy duty plastic ones going cheap.

Interested to hear from anyone who’s gone this route or considered it and encountered a problem

i inherited a single wooden garage, from the inlaws before they passed, which i converted the doors to a single normal size to use as a shed its maybe 20/8 or so.
we used a single pallet that a large production machine had been delivered on from germany, local company was getting rid of.
basically same construction as a wooden pallet just supersize. we put some stone down and used a wacker plate to compressed it, been up 20 years just starting to sag a little on one edge , so this year i may have to reinforce it. had plastic been a option when we did it i probably would have used them especially if they interlocked.

Never thought to have used it to be honest. I would instinctively always want the base to be more "solid", using a material that isn't prone to decay (like wood is).
Can you get a compacted base down and lay some paving slabs - will make sure it is level as well?

He states that they are euro size heavy duty plastic pallets so they won't rot. I can't see why they wouldn't work and they would be like those plastic honeycomb sections you can buy that you then fill with gravel. Just be sure to put some good quality weed fabric down first.

We’re thinking of getting a new shed, 10x6 possibly a bit bigger. Has anyone ever used wooden pallets for a base, I’ve even seen some Euro size heavy duty plastic ones going cheap.

Interested to hear from anyone who’s gone this route or considered it and encountered a problem
Did you come to a conclusion in the end?

If its going on grass/soil I'd personally use the plastic mesh stuff you fill with gravel, put some nice thick weed membrane down and sorted.

But if its going onto a concrete base then yeah using plastic wood is a great idea, the last thing you want is your shed to be sitting straight onto a concrete base as water will just pool and rot it out.

The only thing to think about with plastic wood is that it isn't as strong as real wood so however many beams you'd use in real wood you'll need more or thicker in plastic, but if its just sitting under the shed then it should be fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom