Short circuit protection?

If you stick a wire between the red and the black it will shut down rather than explode/fail.
In reality this means that if something fails and creates a short circuit, which often happens, the psu will not become damaged and hopefully neither will the rest of your system.

What is a short circuit.

Oh I thought it might prevent what happened to me before, my computer wasnt even switched on and it short circuited and the psu-blew.

God knows why the fuse in the plug didnt blow instead of the psu.

Energize said:
Oh I thought it might prevent what happened to me before, my computer wasnt even switched on and it short circuited and the psu-blew.

God knows why the fuse in the plug didnt blow instead of the psu.
Because the fuse in the psu had a lower rating i would hope.
Why did it short? Just a dodgy psu?

I'm not sure if short circuit protection means just a fuse or an electronic cut-out that avoids killing the psu. I suspect it means a proper cut-out system which doesn't kill the psu by blowing its fuse. I think the fuse is a legal requirement.
You can replace the fuse but not without voiding the warranty. Not a problem if the psu is dead anyway.

The mobo wasnt screwed in properly (crappy screwless case) and it moved a bit and shorted on the case, at least thats what I assume was the cause.

Energize said:
The mobo wasnt screwed in properly (crappy screwless case) and it moved a bit and shorted on the case, at least thats what I assume was the cause.
It could be stopped by a SCP, but it might not be sensitive enough to notice something that could damage the board, before the damage is done.

Back
Top Bottom