Should a prime minister have personal holidays paid for?

Caporegime
Or any MP for that matter?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51482220

The cost of Boris Johnson's accommodation for his New Year's holiday was covered by the co-founder of Carphone Warehouse, David Ross.

Mr Ross is named in the MPs' register of interests as donating £15,000 towards the PM's private Caribbean break with his partner, Carrie Symonds.

The prime minister took the holiday to St Vincent and the Grenadines with Ms Symonds between Boxing Day 2019 and 5 January 2020.

He faced criticism at the time for not returning sooner, after the US killing of Iranian general Qasem Soleimani raised tensions in the Middle East.

It is the first trip abroad that Mr Johnson has declared since going to Saudi Arabia in September 2018.

Only one other MP has declared a free holiday in the last year.

First off, I think this is dodgy as hell.

Man of the people Boris Johnson has an estimated net worth of £1.6 million. Why does he need a businessman to pay £15k for accommodation? What does the businessman get out of this?

Am I being nieve/stupid? Or should there be laws in place against this sort of thing?

Caporegime
OP
MPs have set themselves up nicely while screwing over the rest of the public sector.

No pay rises for over 10 years for most, reduced pensions. But MPs have found the cash to give themselves increases yearly on already big wages.

I also read that what the house of Lord's are allowed to claim daily in expenses has just passed what people over 25 on universal credit get in an entire month.

Back
Top Bottom