Should I be disappointed with my MCP?

Associate
I've been studying for the last two months and reading the (very dull) Microsoft training kit/book on Querying SQL Server 2012 in preparation for the Microsoft 70-461 exam.

I took the test on Friday and passed (woo) but am disappointed. I found the test easier than I thought it should be and it was largely multiple choice (which meant that you always had a chance of getting it right by guessing/eliminating obvious wrong answers). In my mind this seems to devalue my achievement as anyone could get hold of the many braindumps out there and memorise the answers and pass this test.

I am in two minds whether to continue and study for the other two modules and get my MCSA in SQL Server, or should I forget about the certs as employers will ignore it because they know that it is meaningless? I already have five years experience of SQL Server but felt that I needed to get the qualifications to break into the area of Business Intelligence/Data Warehousing.

Associate
Well, I'd say that it can't hurt to have the qualifications back up your experience in this area. Some places may value the qualifications more than they should, but I'd say that it could be a differentiator when potential future employers are considering your application compared to other candidates.

I went off on a two week course at a training centre and passed most of my 2003 MCSE there. I had a few exams to retake and one I even had to retake twice and since then, 2010 I've been putting this training I received into practice at my workplace.
Yes, I'd consider them in part to be easyish if you can pick it up in that short a time, however, I had a colleague who went on the 2008 MCSA course at the same place and came out with nothing; read into that what you will. :)

My employer wanted me to do the course and so they paid for it up front and I paid them back, minus the VAT, through a reduction in wages for a couple of years. A bit crappy, but they were a small company at the time (about 20 people) so it was a bit of an investment for them at the time. Anyway, the point is that they obviously valued the qualifications and that I was MS certified, and some places will be like that; where they (over?) value academia.

Back
Top Bottom