• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should I buy or hold out

Associate
Hi
I have £500 - £600 for a new graphics card.
I was hoping I can do better than a standard 3060, should I look for something better? (Either Nvidia or AMD) or Is it worth holding out to see if prices start to return to normal?

Caporegime
It's reckoned that stock won't return to normal until even next year unless Crypto takes a massive dump on itself and mining becomes unprofitable and those with dozens if not hundreds of cards decide to cut their losses and sell up, prices and scarcity are here to stay, at least for 6-12 months.

Soldato
Only you can answer this question. It depends on your willpower.

I've got good willpower so I'm currently using an 11 year old GPU to play less demanding games and I'm having great fun.

However, if you've got no patience and can't wait any longer, then buy a 3060.

It really is a question only you can decide.

Associate
Personally if I had a 8 year old GPU and it was failing I would buy a new 1650, around £200 to play old games on. Then wait for prices to continue to come down, or continue saving for next generation of gpu due out starting next year or look to snag an xbox

Last edited:
Associate
I appear to have been somewhat out the loop regarding GPU's since mid 2019 when I got myself a second hand Vega 64 for £190 that is now misbehaving. 1600 quid for a 3080?!?!?! or a replacement Vega for £600!!!!! Unbelievable. What's with this outfit trying to sell 3070's for 5 grand?

Caporegime
I appear to have been somewhat out the loop regarding GPU's since mid 2019 when I got myself a second hand Vega 64 for £190 that is now misbehaving. 1600 quid for a 3080?!?!?! or a replacement Vega for £600!!!!! Unbelievable. What's with this outfit trying to sell 3070's for 5 grand?
They price them excessively so bots don't buy them, then they put up discount codes in the members Market (you need 1,000 posts to access it) that provides a discount to somewhere close to MSRP.

Associate
They price them excessively so bots don't buy them, then they put up discount codes in the members Market (you need 1,000 posts to access it) that provides a discount to somewhere close to MSRP.
Yup 1000 posts ain't gonna happen soon unless I spend a few days spamming which I don't want to do - finally know what MM means now tho - cheers

Associate
Yeah.....I last posted in 2010 and have a grand total of 25 posts to my name.

Well that's actually not a bad idea to attempt to get cards in to the hands of people that actually want to use them and not put them straight on ebay.

Associate
Yeah.....I last posted in 2010 and have a grand total of 25 posts to my name.

Well that's actually not a bad idea to attempt to get cards in to the hands of people that actually want to use them and not put them straight on ebay.

Yeh and tbh if they didn't do this chance of any of us actually buying it anyway with everything being botted nowadays are very limited.

Permabanned
It's very difficult to predict what will happen over the next two years. The average PC gamers now are starting to get angry. Give them another few months and something will snap. It's a real shame because gamers have been moving back to the PC, but now it's in danger of being wrecked by the incompetence of NVIDIA, who just seem to be completely out of touch. They say they support the gamers, but they do anything but. They haven't helped the gamers at all during the past five years or so. Who knows what will happen? But things will change.

Associate
When you say its failing what do you mean?

Holding out would be preferred otherwise your propping up the current market price

If by failing you mean its not functioning (not just it isnt playing triple AAA how youd like) i guess you have to ask yourself how much do you need to be playing pc games. Enough to pay mid/high end price for entry level card then so be it

Nobody know which direction it will go bit of a gamble at the moment. Personally i cant see it continuing as is given the xbox is 450 quid all in

Last edited:
Soldato
Tbh your best bet is to start getting involved in various discussions on here, you only need 400 posts for MM access, that's doable in a month (without spamming) if you get dragged into some of the SC or GD "debates" ;)

Associate
Tbh your best bet is to start getting involved in various discussions on here, you only need 400 posts for MM access, that's doable in a month (without spamming) if you get dragged into some of the SC or GD "debates" ;)

I thought the MM was 1000 posts. Has it decreased to 400 now?

Edit.

Hey, I can see the MM forum now? Happy days.

Back
Top Bottom