Should I change tyres?

Soldato
I have a 2015 Street Triple RX with 800 miles on it as for various reasons it’s been in storage for the last 6 years. I’ve just had it serviced and it’s getting MOT’d on Tuesday.
The tyres are the originals and are pretty much brand new. I know that it’s recommended to change tyres based on age but these have been in a lockup and haven’t seen daylight so how urgent is it that I get them changed?

Man of Honour
They probably have flat spots in them. Might be okay but if it were my bike I’d be changing them as a priority. Tyres have big impact on the overall stability of the bike, and sometimes a tyre that initially feels not quite right but good enough, can really deteriorate at the worst moment e.g. in a big lean or under hard braking. If you haven’t ridden in 6 years then you’ll probably be at high risk of getting thrown off if the tyres throw any inconsistencies at you.

If it passes the MOT it’ll largely be down to personal preference and judgement. Is the £350 worth it to you for peace of mind?

Associate
Agree with the above, I'd be swapping them out. My front had a very small flat spot just slightly right of centre, it just never felt right, one moment I'd lean into a turn and it was fine, the next flat like if wanted to drop out from under me. Was strange and I was convinced it was due to something else. However it disappeared with a new tyre.

Soldato
If you’re going to store a motorcycle for any length of time, front and rear stands are your friend.

You’ll probably need a new battery and the fuel system will need a clean out.

I’d change the oil and oil filter as well as it’s sat there with all the early running crud in it for 6 years.

Man of Honour
Impeccable taste in bikes ;)

I'd change them out, if you're happy to take the wheels off you can get something like pirelli GT/st for under £200 fitted. They're a few generations old but still great all round tires.

Associate
Another vote here for change the tyres. As above, if not stored on paddock stands, you'll probably have flat spots.

But also to add, in my experience, the compound can degrade over time, and whilst the tyres may appear in great condition, it can be nigh on impossible to get any heat into them.

Agree with @tom_e re the Pirellis. Angel STs still my tyres of choice. Too scared to try anything else in case I don't like them - an expensive mistake :cry:

Soldato
Update. Passed MOT without any issues, tyres felt absolutely perfect although I’m going to swap them for a pair of S22s.
Great choice, they're awesome. I'd be having another set on my MT10 when they're worn out if I wasn't headed to the Alps (3k miles) later this summer.

Back
Top Bottom