should i return my laptop?

Soldato
Hey,

My old laptop died last week and my dad decided he would pick me one up from argos, yes a very nice gesture that i appreciate but i didnt have much say in it as it was the only one in the clearance section and it was £499.99... its a samsung np350v5c-a0euk and looks like a very nice laptop but as its from the clearence section he got the 'it can only be returned if it has a problem' crap but it has a couple of minor issues and i dont know if they are real issues or just me looking to find issues.

specs are

Product Dimensions 24.3 x 37.3 x 3.3 cm
Batteries: 1 Nonstandard Battery batteries required. (included)
Item model number NP350V5C-A0EUK
Screen Size 15.6 inches
Processor Type Intel Core i5
Processor Speed 2.5 GHz
Processor Count 2
RAM Size 6 GB
Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive Size 750 GB
Hard Drive Interface ATA
Graphics Card Description Integrated HD4000
Graphics RAM Type DDR3 SDRAM
Operating System Windows 8

it seems to be decent spec (far better then my old laptop) but the build quality is lacking and it leaves me an uneasy feeling about the whole thing when opening the hinge is tight but the screen has too much flex for my liking. the keys, the spacebar very bad, squeak as you type (im typing on it now and its really bugging me but im hoping its just wearing them in)
when the fan is running (it has a silent run mode) it has a quiet but high pitched buzz, the internet seems to take 5-10 mins before it will work properly then has odd fits in working and finally the most irritating one is the touch pad seems very intermittent in its use, sometimes its absolutely fine others multitouch wont work, others it just wont do anything for a 30 secs or so and i know its not the computer as keys and buttons still work.

the question is is should i return it as faulty or just live with its 'querks' and try to accept them?

with the being argos and a gift i may have to accept an exchange and i know i can get the Asus S400E for the same price which seems a very nice unit, i was also looking at the S200E before as a cheap new laptop before the death of the old one but i dont know what the i5 s400e is like

in short i dont want to be ungrateful to my dad but i dont want to be stuck with a laptop that i dont enjoy using and with the above issues can i return it as faulty? and is the S400E a better option build quality wise?

Man of Honour
If your having real problems with the build quality I'd try getting it replaced or swapped for an alternative model - they are usually fairly quibble free about that but IIRC won't accept laptops back just because you've changed your mind due to the software licensing side of it.

Soldato
A chain like that I'd just chance my arm at wading into a store and asking to return it for an exchange. State the problems if you have too but hopefully you'll get a spotty 19 year old who really doesn't care :p

Man of Honour
I bought a £199 camcorder and realised I should have bought the £399 one so went back to the store where they refused to swap it. I went to another store, told them it was faulty, got my money back and went to the original store where I bought the expensive one (they didn't have it in the store I returned it to). I can't see a problem if people want to spend more.

Soldato
OP
Took it back and was honest with them and they did a straight away for the asus s400e i3 which is technically a lower spec but having played with it just over an hour the build quality is far superior and the touch screen on windows 8 seems to work very well

Back
Top Bottom