• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should I RMA a Ryzen 5900x that CTD's with certain games, but fine with CPB off?

Associate
Hello,

I bought a Ryzan 5900x from OCUK last November and have had problems with it since the beginning.

Firstly it wouldn't Post with an MSI MAG x570 Tomahawk until the BIOS was updated, which then allowed me to Post but was getting multiple BSOD errors. So I dusted off my trusty 3800x Ryzen and have been waiting for newer BIOS to stabilize the CPU.

During this time I switched motherboards to a Asus TUF x570 Gaming Plus and updated my Bios to version 3602 just recently. So I put in the 5900x again to see if it was any better now. Since Thursday of last week (25/3/21) I've still recieved two BSOD of (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) whilst the CPU has been powering down from activity.

Strangely, when I try Prime95, or OCCT and even Intel Burner, the tests go through with flying colours. But it is a different story with gaming, especially with Total War: Warhammer 2, where the game would crash on campaign map or specifically when finishing manual combat.

However, turning off Core Performance Boost in the BIOS, stops the crashes from happening fully but of course makes the CPU only run at its minimum 3700Ghz. The game was also stable with the 3800x installed even with Core Performance Boost on.

I'm concerned that since I've never really had much stability with this chip that it might be a dud chip and that I should RMA it.

I've already spoke to a Customer Service Agent from OCUK who says I should RMA it back and they'll test it but worry that because Prime95 and other stability checks maybe successful, that the chip will be classified "ok" and be sent back to me, but knowing myself that something is wrong with it, due to the CPB test mentioned above.

Temperatures on Stability checks have risien to 82 degress, but no more than that and generally stays in the 60-62 on full load and 33 when on Idle. Power settings are set to High Performance in Windows too.

Can anyone please advice me on whether I should RMA the chip or not.

Specs as follows:

AMD Ryzen 5900x
Asus x570 TUF Gaming-Plus (BIOS Version 3602)
Corsair H115 Water Cooling
GameMAX 850w PSU
T-Force Darkz Memory (16x2)
NVME Corsair 980 EVO 1T
Nvidia Cereberus 1070ti
Windows 10 Pro

Back
Top Bottom