Should I see a temperature drop...?

Associate
I have a new build with a 5900x and Dark Rock Pro 4 in a Lian Li Lancool II mesh.
If I gradually increase the load on the CPU I hear the fans ramp up (both fans on the Dark Rock and all case fans tied to CPU temp - I use 60C as the trigger temp in this case). However, with no change in the load the temperature does not decrease at all. Neither does it increase. I would have expected the temperature to drop a little as as the fans shifted more air. Is this a correct assumption? I started to wonder if I fitted the middle fan of the cooler the wrong way round so it is fighting the main fan air flow, but temps do not get excessive so not investigated further - yet.

If I decide to remove the cooler to check it out I want to replace it with the best thermal paste for the job so any recommendations there would be gratefully received, especially from people with the same components. However, I don't trust myself with liquid metal types.

Associate
OP
Thanks doyll, I have a temperature curve set up and have the fans going to max at 85c for the 5900.
I have CPUtemp running and I have never had it record a max of more than 82c if I remember correctly. But that is running stress test software.
Cooling isn't an issue but I have yet to get the cpu to do some proper work with, say a 4k game on ultra settings, but I can't do that till I finally get a 3080.
My original question was around not seeing a temperature drop when the fans kicked in and there was no additional load. But that was answered a couple of posts back.

Back
Top Bottom