Should I switch to a laptop?

Associate
Hi all,

Im thinking about switching from a desktop to a gaming laptop mostly for tidiness reasons, The wife says my PC is an eye sore and lights up like a childs toy :(

I'd still be docking this into a keyboard, mouse and monitor when gaming anyway. Is this a terrible idea to switch out?

I've seen an ASUS ROG Strix scar I like, Ryzen 9 5900HX, 32gb 3200MHz ram, 3080 16GB graphics & 2TB NVMe Drive.

Will this become over heated when gaming and effectively be an expensive paper weight? Also what is resale like on a Laptop? Normally with my desktop I sell off old components to upgrade regularly

Has anyone here made the move from desktop to laptop and regretted it?

Thanks for the help

Associate
I think you'd be better getting s new case for your pc that looks tidy and doesn't light up.

A gaming laptop will never perform the same as a desktop.

Associate
My best bet is to stick with your PC as your can get the best bang for your buck when you upgrade the components. As for the lights, just turn them off:D.

Soldato
its not a terrible idea but stay away from the expensive new high end stuff because it two years you will take a hit you wont forget when you sell it to buy another.

Soldato
I switched to a laptop for the portability around the house.

By the time you add a screen, keyboard and mouse its a mess though. But I can put most of it away when I want to.

I switch between my work laptop and gaming laptop with the same keyboard/mouse and screen.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Your wife will hate the jet engine fans more than then RGB. RGB is an easy one to fix. As suggested above downsize into a clean minimal ITX case and you’ll be better off. Go all wireless peripherals for a clean desk.

Gaming setups don’t have to look like a child’s rainbow toy :D

Associate
Your wife will hate the jet engine fans more than then RGB. RGB is an easy one to fix. As suggested above downsize into a clean minimal ITX case and you’ll be better off. Go all wireless peripherals for a clean desk.

[/QUOTE

Very nice setup hope you have not got any pets especially cats. :D

Associate
OP
Hi,

Thanks all for your help,

At present I have a setup that my wife docks her work laptop into to work from home during the week. I thought maybe swapping out for a laptop would make the area look much neater. I was worried about performance and resell value and it sounds like they are concerns. I think I'll keep with desktop and look for another solution, perhaps a new wife.

I could look to go with wireless peripherals to tidy up the desk abit, I might wait to see whats in the sales.

Thank you all for the help

Associate
Very happy owner of a Lenovo legion 5 Pro here. Ryzen 7 5800h and RTX 3070 at 140watt.
Destroys everything at 1440p. Amazing screen too when I want to play on big monitor I just use a USB c to display port cable.

Soldato

I have the same speakers, good but they need a sub

Associate
Very happy owner of a Lenovo legion 5 Pro here. Ryzen 7 5800h and RTX 3070 at 140watt.
Destroys everything at 1440p. Amazing screen too when I want to play on big monitor I just use a USB c to display port cable.

These lenovos are amazing. I've gone for a legion 7 after 15 years of alienware. Amazed at how small, light and powerful they are compared to my previous gaming laptop.

Soldato
I swapped my R7 2700, 1060 3gb, 16gb ram PC to a 17" i7 7700k 1070 8gb 16gb ram "laptop" and have not looked back. the noise is comparable to a gpu fan on full song which is nothing in my house with wife/kids competing for noise anyway. I have it docked to a Screen/Mouse/KB/Speakers so at my desk its no different but I got a 2nd PSU for it and can just simply leave the room for some peace :D

That being said I probably would not buy a new one for the fear of depreciation. I was fortunate to get mine in a straight swap deal.

Associate
Im with TurtleTwo, my legion 5 Pro does everything I need, I have a work laptop as well using the same screen.
All of it takes less space than my desktop.

Soldato
Gaming laptops are the devel.
With almost zero upgrade options, and the need to turn down setting sooner then you would hope the only option it a PC.

Friend of mine had a alien wear that within 24 months would give messages about out of date drivers and refuse to load games. Dell just dropped support.

Associate
With almost zero upgrade options, and the need to turn down setting sooner then you would hope the only option it a PC.

Friend of mine had a alien wear that within 24 months would give messages about out of date drivers and refuse to load games. Dell just dropped support.

yes support is a problem when it comes to driver age.

Soldato

That makes no sense. There is no way a 2yr old Laptop becomes unusable. Even with old drivers.

Back
Top Bottom