Should I The Return Noctua NH-U14S

Soldato
Hi Guys

I wanted a to get a air cooler for my ryzen build due to how easy it would be to fit and use, not many downsides and the minor differences.

I ended up choosing to pay a little more and get a noctua but its now been 7 days and ive still had no reply about the support bracket even after sending a few emails.

Ive contacted the supplier and they want me to buy a bracket from them, Now after paying £60 for a air cooler I dont think i should need to buy the bracket.

I've had rest of the parts for some time iIm just waiting for the cooler now.

What should I do ?

Soldato
Unless they said it works out of the box on AM4 then they're in the right.

Doesn't matter that you paid £60 as long as they gave you the information you needed to know.

Soldato
OP
Unless they said it works out of the box on AM4 then they're in the right.

Doesn't matter that you paid £60 as long as they gave you the information you needed to know.
They may be right at the point but both the supplier and noctua did state a free bracket will be provided by noctua, If I cant get a reply from noctua and the 14 days pass I will have a part I cant use and ill still need to by another to be able to get up and running. also the other downside is I have a 1700x whch does not come with cone.

Soldato
Well if you're filling in this form at Noctuas website asking for the free bracket: https://noctua.at/en/nm-am4-uxs-mounting-kit-order-form

Then really there's nothing you can do besides wait.

Of course you can ditch it and get something AM4 compatible out of the box. Depends what your priorities are.

I asked for an AM4 bracket from another company because they were giving them out free. Never heard a word from them. It just turned up one day.

Soldato
Hi Guys

I wanted a to get a air cooler for my ryzen build due to how easy it would be to fit and use, not many downsides and the minor differences.

I ended up choosing to pay a little more and get a noctua but its now been 7 days and ive still had no reply about the support bracket even after sending a few emails.

Ive contacted the supplier and they want me to buy a bracket from them, Now after paying £60 for a air cooler I dont think i should need to buy the bracket.

I've had rest of the parts for some time iIm just waiting for the cooler now.

What should I do ?
The add on website you purchased your NH-U14S from should have a list of what sockets the cooler can be mounted on. If AM4 is on that list then you can return it at their expense for not supplying product as represented.

Soldato
OP
The add on website you purchased your NH-U14S from should have a list of what sockets the cooler can be mounted on. If AM4 is on that list then you can return it at their expense for not supplying product as represented.
It does not say anything about AM4 on the website, I am still be able to return it but I may just need to pay the return cost.
I did my research to confirming with both the supplier and noctua beofre buying which took a little time and they both confirmed i can get the free mount but now I cant get a reply, the issue is I can hold out and hope I get the mount kit but i will loose my chance to return the cooler and ill be stuck with something I cant use.

This issues has really annoyed me now im not too sure what to do.

Should I
1. Buy a basic out of box am4 cooler like the AMD Wraith Spire and not overclock till I get something better.
2. Get a AIO which come with am4 brackets out of the box. (I dont know which brands are good)
3. Go custom watercooling
4. Custom watercooling with a AMD Wraith Spire as backup
Whats your option.

Soldato
I did my research to confirming with both the supplier and noctua beofre buying which took a little time and they both confirmed i can get the free mount

You're generating a problem out of impatience.

If you have bought the non-AM4 version and have properly filled in the details to get the free bracket: https://noctua.at/en/nm-am4-uxs-mounting-kit-order-form

Then the final step is waiting for the bracket.

It specifically says on the free bracket form that it can take up to 14 days after sending them the correct info using that exact form.

You have sent in your request using that form?

Soldato
OP
You're generating a problem out of impatience.

If you have bought the non-AM4 version and have properly filled in the details to get the free bracket: https://noctua.at/en/nm-am4-uxs-mounting-kit-order-form

Then the final step is waiting for the bracket.

It specifically says on the free bracket form that it can take up to 14 days after sending them the correct info using that exact form.

You have sent in your request using that form?
I've already sent the request days ago, I would say atleast a week but no confirmation other then the auto one.

I could delay the build but I dont know if I will get the support bracket, I would just be paying for something I wont be able to use, thats why im considering the return.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't see a good/free outcome better than waiting for Noctua to deliver the bracket within the 14 days they said. You can't actually say they've failed you until 14 days have gone.

You've commited to the cooler that needs the bracket and there's a risk of it costing you somehow just to return it.

If time matters then this wasn't a good plan and the least problematic solution would probably be to buy the bracket.

I get that you don't want to spend any more but you don't have to spend any more if you follow through with the waiting you are already commited to.

Soldato
It does not say anything about AM4 on the website, I am still be able to return it but I may just need to pay the return cost.
I did my research to confirming with both the supplier and noctua beofre buying which took a little time and they both confirmed i can get the free mount but now I cant get a reply, the issue is I can hold out and hope I get the mount kit but i will loose my chance to return the cooler and ill be stuck with something I cant use.

This issues has really annoyed me now im not too sure what to do.

Should I
1. Buy a basic out of box am4 cooler like the AMD Wraith Spire and not overclock till I get something better.
2. Get a AIO which come with am4 brackets out of the box. (I dont know which brands are good)
3. Go custom watercooling
4. Custom watercooling with a AMD Wraith Spire as backup
Whats your option.

OcUK has NM-AM4-UXS mounting kit for £6.49. That would be the quickest way to get good cooling and probably the cheapest as well.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nm-am4-uxs-mounting-kit-hs-038-nc.html

There are many out of box coolers that fit all mounts including AM4.

As for AIOs, most are CLC. All CLCs are AIOs, but not all AIOs are CLCs. CLCs are a sub-group of AIO that are factory sealed built as cheaply as possible liquid coolers with no way to repair when something goes bad .. 99.9% of the time it's pump failure after 1-3 years of hard use. Some AIOs like Alphacool (has poor customer support), Swiftech (good support but not easy to find), be quiet! Silent Loop (quite good, have one and use it), Fractal Design Kelvin and I think that's about it. AIOs are much better than CLCs but still not even close to being as good as a mid-level custom loop.

But the difference in cost between a good air cooled system is dramatic. Good air cooling is £50-80 for cooler and 2-3 good case fans is another £8-50 depending on what case fans your case has stock and will last 5-10 years with maybe needing a new fan or two. AIO/CLC is £70-140 lasting 1-3 years .. maybe less, maybe more. Custom loop is £280 and up to whatever you are willing to spend. Add to this any liquid cooling system should to be serviced annually by flushing and re-filling system. So unless you want to spend a considerable amount of time researching components and building a custom loop .. and have lots of money to put into it .. the best way forward is a good air cooler like NH-U14S and optimize your case airflow.

Not knowing what case and motherboard you have I don't know what you will need to set it up with good airflow or what coolers will fit. NH-U14S is a very good cooler but it is also quite wide at 150mm .. meaning it needs at least 77mm center CPU to nearest x16 PCIe socket to clear GPU. Does your motherboard have that?

Soldato
OP
Thanks, I do have some custom water cooling parts and nabaged to get a EK evo water block but I dont know how good they are anymore, I did however mess up when i sold the fittings and pump to get funding for the air cooler. So I would need to get them again to have a complete custom loop.

The main reason I did not want to stick with water was the maintenance and chance of leaks, I did want to get hardline at one point but it too much work for me.

The reasons I keep looking at custom water cooling.
1 I have few of the parts so the cost would not be the same as starting from scratch.
2. on paper custom is meant to be cooler.
3. small water block and should fit most motherboard, unlike air cooler which you need to check the size a number of times.
4. Dhould fit most modern cases.

At the same time custom has its own problems.
1. Maintenance
2. Chance of Leaks.
2. Pump life.
3. Number of parts.
4.Time to fit

The reason im looking at Air
1 nothing to worry about, it just has a fan.
2. simple to fit (in most cases)
3. High end one are as good as water.in most cases

but it has its own issues which ive faced

1.the limited number of high end air cooler available even less with compatible support brackets
2. Size can be a issues for, cases, motherboard ram and GPU
3, may not be good as custom.

Really at this point its whatever i can get and use without the to mess about.

Soldato
Thanks, I do have some custom water cooling parts and nabaged to get a EK evo water block but I dont know how good they are anymore, I did however mess up when i sold the fittings and pump to get funding for the air cooler. So I would need to get them again to have a complete custom loop.
**snip**
The reason im looking at Air
1 nothing to worry about, it just has a fan.
2. simple to fit (in most cases)
3. High end one are as good as water.in most cases

1.the limited number of high end air cooler available even less with compatible support brackets

Really at this point its whatever i can get and use without the to mess about.
There are many very good air coolers out there, and have been for many years now .. and many of them now come with AM4 mounts. I just received new Phanteks PH-TD14PE with 1600rpm PH-F140HP_BK2 fans and comes stock with TR4 mount. Original PH-TC14PE had 1200rpm fans and cooled very close to best at time which was NH-D15 with 1500rpm fans (more rpm = more airflow) so I expect this PH-TC14PE to be as good or better.

Yeah, cooler size can be problematic, same as radiator size can be. Case, cooler and motherboard .. even RAM size .. all need to be considered in choosing compatible components. A case with decent or better airflow, 2 or 3 good case fans and a little time optimizing case airflow should have you good to go .. all can be done in much less time than it takes to build a good liquid cooling system.

I agree, a good air cooling setup is as good as many custom built systems. but if pushing serious overclocking on both CPU and GPU a good custom loop is still king .. if you have a king's ransom to build it with. :p

Soldato
The reasons I keep looking at custom water cooling.
2. on paper custom is meant to be cooler.

Proper custom water cooling using big radiator and good pump has guaranteedly lot more cooling power, than any heatsink which could be safely mounted on motherboard.
Question is simply about having lots of surface area to dissipate heat into air.
Something compact/slim radiators struggle to give more than good heat pipe cooler.

Outside some old models it's hard to find not AM4 compatible cooler from bigger manufacturers.
Space requirements are certainly issue in most hyped coolers.
That's caused as much as by people thinking some single thing makes something automatically good.
While less hyped Scythe Mugen 5 is free from clearance issues and seriously challenges many bigger coolers and AIOs in cooling per noise.
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8320/scythe-mugen-5-rev-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html
https://www.nikktech.com/main/artic...he-mugen-5-cpu-cooler-review?showall=&start=5

Soldato
OP
There are many very good air coolers out there, and have been for many years now .. and many of them now come with AM4 mounts. I just received new Phanteks PH-TD14PE with 1600rpm PH-F140HP_BK2 fans and comes stock with TR4 mount. Original PH-TC14PE had 1200rpm fans and cooled very close to best at time which was NH-D15 with 1500rpm fans (more rpm = more airflow) so I expect this PH-TC14PE to be as good or better.

Yeah, cooler size can be problematic, same as radiator size can be. Case, cooler and motherboard .. even RAM size .. all need to be considered in choosing compatible components. A case with decent or better airflow, 2 or 3 good case fans and a little time optimizing case airflow should have you good to go .. all can be done in much less time than it takes to build a good liquid cooling system.

I agree, a good air cooling setup is as good as many custom built systems. but if pushing serious overclocking on both CPU and GPU a good custom loop is still king .. if you have a king's ransom to build it with. :p
I really dont want to water cool the GPU due to the high risk and the changing water blocks. so its only the CPU which is another reason im looking at air.

Lol At the moment I cant get a cooler or make my mind up, never mind kings ransom.

As for air I've not even considered the phanteks because most of the reviews I are old so I could not compare it.
let me know how it compares, also what are the sizes compared with noctua u14s and D15.

I was looking at thermalright but is no longer sold in the UK and only one supplier has old stock, so I thought it would be a hassle.
Same issue with Scythe Mugen 5, only one UK supplier and they only had the 5000 model.

I took a look a the the be-quite dark rock but a few people have told me its a pain to fit and its the same price as noctua

I took a look at noctua, which a lot of people think is the best, all the models other then the D15S need a AM4 Bracket which I cant use till I get one and I never got a reply from noctua.

I was hoping they would come out with the New U12S that was shown off at Computex

So thats been my issue upto now.

Soldato
OP
Proper custom water cooling using big radiator and good pump has guaranteedly lot more cooling power, than any heatsink which could be safely mounted on motherboard.
Question is simply about having lots of surface area to dissipate heat into air.
Something compact/slim radiators struggle to give more than good heat pipe cooler.

Outside some old models it's hard to find not AM4 compatible cooler from bigger manufacturers.
Space requirements are certainly issue in most hyped coolers.
That's caused as much as by people thinking some single thing makes something automatically good.
While less hyped Scythe Mugen 5 is free from clearance issues and seriously challenges many bigger coolers and AIOs in cooling per noise.
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8320/scythe-mugen-5-rev-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html
https://www.nikktech.com/main/artic...he-mugen-5-cpu-cooler-review?showall=&start=5

This is what ive been trying to compare,
At the moment I have a few parts, I have a 360 blackice stealth GT, EK supremacy EVO water block, and a Phobya Balancer 250 nickel, which I could use but I would need to get some fittings and a pump, I dont know how good they are anymore and you dont see comparisons due to the number of different parts and variables. so for I know I would be better off not using them.

I took a look at the Scythe Mugen 5 I only found one supplier but they only had the older 5000 model which i think does not come with AM4.
I also considered the U12S again the bracket issue and the newer model may not come out for months.

Soldato
Because of being limited by manufacturing process Ryzen really doesn't overclock much, or at least in any reasonable way.
In fact default boost clock mechanism of Ryzen 2 gives better single thread/core performance than reasonably achievable all core overclocking.
Meaning there's no real sense to count on overclocking.
Also soldered heatspreader makes it easier to keep CPU temperature under control.
So good tower cooler would certainly keep temperatures very easily under control in typical loads like gaming.

I took a look at the Scythe Mugen 5 I only found one supplier but they only had the older 5000 model which i think does not come with AM4.
I also considered the U12S again the bracket issue and the newer model may not come out for months.
Sadly like Thermalright, Scythe seems to be out of fashion brand, despite of making excellent products especially for price.
Curiously considering parent company Caseking selling hem OcUK hasn't added Mugen 5 Rev. B to catalog, when removing likely discontinued original model.
Might be worth of asking them.
Though just like Noctua Scythe would send free AM4 mounting parts for showing proof of puchasing SCMG-5000 and AM4 mobo or Ryzen:
http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/mugen-5.html

NH-U12S simply isn't worth its luxury brand price with bundled acoustically crappy NF-F12 fan.
Besides that sound characteristics it must be using miniaturized vibrating roller as motor, just like NF-P12. (which came with NH-U12P)
Those two fans are the worst vibrating PC fans I've ever handled.

Soldato
OP
Because of being limited by manufacturing process Ryzen really doesn't overclock much, or at least in any reasonable way.
In fact default boost clock mechanism of Ryzen 2 gives better single thread/core performance than reasonably achievable all core overclocking.
Meaning there's no real sense to count on overclocking.
Also soldered heatspreader makes it easier to keep CPU temperature under control.
So good tower cooler would certainly keep temperatures very easily under control in typical loads like gaming.

Sadly like Thermalright, Scythe seems to be out of fashion brand, despite of making excellent products especially for price.
Curiously considering parent company Caseking selling hem OcUK hasn't added Mugen 5 Rev. B to catalog, when removing likely discontinued original model.
Might be worth of asking them.
Though just like Noctua Scythe would send free AM4 mounting parts for showing proof of puchasing SCMG-5000 and AM4 mobo or Ryzen:
http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/mugen-5.html

NH-U12S simply isn't worth its luxury brand price with bundled acoustically crappy NF-F12 fan.
Besides that sound characteristics it must be using miniaturized vibrating roller as motor, just like NF-P12. (which came with NH-U12P)
Those two fans are the worst vibrating PC fans I've ever handled.
To tell you the truth I diid want to try and overclock the 1700x at least once but im moving up from the FX, it should be a huge difference anyway so its not a issue.

I did look at OCUK but it was showing out of stock for the Mugen 5 5000 and no 5100

I was looking this U12S but i dont think its launched yet.

Is the U14s or any other model suggestion ?

Back
Top Bottom