• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should I upgrade now, with the recent RTX 4000 price drops?

Associate
The recent price drops on the RTX 4000 series have tempted me, especially on the 4070 Ti Super and 4080 Super but not sure if to just hold on for the 5000 series?

At present I have a GTX 1070 with a 12600K, so new-ish CPU and very old GPU, due to the GPU shortages and resulting price gouging, saw my RTX 3000 series upgrade delayed, and then the less then great impression the price hikes on the 4000 series, on release, though the price drops have offset this.

4070 non-Super or 7800 XT are over 1.5x the speed of your 1070, so I'd be looking at one of those, as close to or preferably under £450. They're both decent cards for 1440p.
Thought about AMD but I would like to try Ray Tracing, just to see what all the fuss is about, so Nvidia for the moment.

Considered the 4070 non-super but would prefer 16GB VRAM, as would like a good few years out of it, and not convinced 12GB is enough for that.

Realistically, I don't think any of these cards are in it for the long run with ray tracing enabled, so you might want to dump it again in 3-4 years regardless of which you choose
To use to being able to get at least 6 years out of a card and 10 is not bad for my 1070.

Though would probably lean towards a 4070 Super, if going with 12GB VRAM would prefer to get the best VRAM possible at present.

Back
Top Bottom