• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should i upgrade?

Associate
Currently have an i3-8100 with a gtx 1060 6gb, 16gb ddr4

Is it a good idea to upgrade to an i5-8400 for about £200? Or would it be better to just put the money towards a new gpu, 1070 probably.

I mainly game and use vr, and after getting a 2nd monitor and attempting to run multiple programs, i am noticing some hitches. I was wondering whether a new, 6 core cpu would be a worthwhile upgrade, or not.

Any advice is great :)

Soldato
What's your budget?

Not liking what I see regarding the 8400. It has a base frequency of 2.8Ghz compared to the 8100 at 3.6GHz. The 8400 doesn't look like a gaming chip. The frequency is too low. Plus it's not a k chip so poor overclocking if any at all.

I think at minimum you should be shooting for the 8600k. I assume this will be a drop in replacement for you? We need to know what mobo you have?

The GPU is fine for the moment depending on your resolution. At 1080p I think your fine.

But your current CPU is a bit of a bottleneck.

Someone else might be able to advise if there is something better compatible with your socket. But i think I'm not far off with the 8600k. (at cheap price points)

---

For a better VR experience a more powerful GPU is always beneficial.

But I think the CPU is your bottleneck at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently have an i3-8100 with a gtx 1060 6gb, 16gb ddr4

Is it a good idea to upgrade to an i5-8400 for about £200? Or would it be better to just put the money towards a new gpu, 1070 probably.

I mainly game and use vr, and after getting a 2nd monitor and attempting to run multiple programs, i am noticing some hitches. I was wondering whether a new, 6 core cpu would be a worthwhile upgrade, or not.

Any advice is great :)

Define 'hitches' and 'multiple programs', also have you confirmed that you are in any way CPU limited or is this purely how you feel?

Back
Top Bottom