Should I use this old Lian Li case?

Associate
Hi I have this old Lian Li full tower case (USB2)
I'm going for a new build sometime soon and just wondered, should I or could I use this case for it.
Maybe its stupid to use it, ...pity

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Do you WANT to use it? I don't see any reason why you can't. Only reason it would be stupid is if you don't like it lol!

Soldato
:) I like the case but thought, would i regret using it :) its USB2 sockets.
Forgot to say, I might get a liquid CPU cooler.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...iquid-cpu-cooler-cw-9060026-ww-hs-036-cs.html
Maybe the case is to old to mount a liquid CPU cooler? I don't know, never fitted a liquid cooler before.

Thanks.

I don't know where you'd mount it... maybe at the front? Not sure if that's possible without sight of the internals. Any ventilation up top? You don't NEED a liquid cooler... don't fall for the marketing hype, you'll get just as good performance from a top end Noctua, Cryorig or BeQuiet air cooler.

I hardly ever use the USB 3.0 ports on my case, so unless you're constantly using pen drives and need that speed, I wouldn't worry about it. USB ports at the rear are plenty, and push come to shove, you could get a little USB hub and run that to your desk.

Why 1800X over 1700X, just curious?

Associate
OP
Thank you for all that advice, appreciate it, I have a Noctua, inside that PC on an old board.
I powered it up today for the first time after 5 years and it started right away :)
There is a good board in it too. I used it for video editing for about 4years then about 5 yrs ago I built my present PC.

I thought myself the Noctua was a great cooler but I'm far from an expert. Just reading the forums I thought liquid cooling was best for a 1700 or 1800x.

Sure, I was looking of a new build PC for 4K video editing and was told to get a 6900K but I wouldn't like to spend that kind of money on a chip, even if I could afford it so as you know the 1700 or1800x looked good.
The 1700 would be a lot faster than my current 2700k.

The usb3 hub is a good idea, I would need one with a longish cable then. I use the front USBs often to copy files from my cards to the hard drives.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought myself the Noctua was a great cooler but I'm far from an expert. Just reading the forums I thought liquid cooling was best for a 1700 or 1800x.

Sure, I was looking of a new build PC for 4K video editing and was told to get a 6900K but I wouldn't like to spend that kind of money on a chip, even if I could afford it so as you know the 1700 or1800x looked good.
The 1700 would be a lot faster than my current 2700k.

The usb3 hub is a good idea, I would need one with a longish cable then. I use the front USBs often to copy files from my cards to the hard drives.

Custom loop cooling would be superior (at a cost), but AIOs don't offer superior performance over top end air, this is a myth. An AIO is only really going to be best in situations where the aesthetic is desirable (if you use your Lian Li case you won't see it), or very high profile RAM prevents installation of most air coolers. If you want the ultimate performance, a custom loop is the way to go, but it hardly offers good value.

For video editing, either the 1700X or 1800X would be a good choice, certainly better value than the 6900K for sure! There is literally no reason to buy the 6C/8C Intel's now at their current price. As to which one you go for, 1700X or 1800X, really up to you... 1700X is better value, but if you want the best the 1800X will give you that... it's only a relatively small bump for an extra £100 though.

Associate
OP
... it's only a relatively small bump for an extra £100 though.

Thank you so much Legend, I would have thought that sometimes it takes a lot, to get you a little :) If I'm encoding a 2 hour file I could wait the extra 5 or 10 mins and that extra £100 would go towards the Ram or something :)

So a Noctua cooler would be perfect for a 1700x

Thank you again.

Soldato
I converted an old Coolermaster atcs case a while back, similar design by the looks of it. I used a USB.3 front panel jobbie which gave me 4 usb.3 connectors on the front in one of the old cdrom bays. I also modified the whole case to take 120mm fans and ended up installing a corsair H55 exhausting at the rear. So I reckon its doable but it'll take a bit of work "IF" the LianLi case dimensions are similar to my old case. I've got some pics in the "project logs" forum section if you're interested.:)

Associate
OP
I converted an old Coolermaster atcs case a while back, similar design by the looks of it. I used a USB.3 front panel jobbie which gave me 4 usb.3 connectors on the front in one of the old cdrom bays. I also modified the whole case to take 120mm fans and ended up installing a corsair H55 exhausting at the rear. So I reckon its doable but it'll take a bit of work "IF" the LianLi case dimensions are similar to my old case. I've got some pics in the "project logs" forum section if you're interested.:)

Thanks for the info, I'm not sure what to do about a case, that case in the 1st post is in mint condition.
In fact the computer is still working great, it's a pity I can't sell it to someone, it's worth, I think £200 as it is.
If I was to go for a new case I would need one with 4 or 5 5.25 front drive bays and enough room for maybe 6 internal HD drives
And maybe room for NH-D15 cooler or Corsair H110i. I don't need a window in the case don't want a door nor flashy lights :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom