Should more homes have air conditioning these days?

The 2018 heat waves are well over now. So I thought I'd post this, being in that mild interim period where most people aren't using aircon but also aren't using heating yet.

All of the UK summers since 2013 have been hotter than average, so my home mini fridge-sized aircon unit has been handy. It's a 750W unit, so if you think about it, it's about the same as a gaming PC, and it's good for a 5M x 4M room. It adds around £6 to my direct debit for half of the year before the meter adjusts my bill back down again. The yearly £36-odd is worth it imo. I use it for 4 months, late May to late Aug, then the central heating goes on for 4 months Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb. So both are equally as necessary to me. Most places in UK retail have aircon, plus cars and most trains. There are 3 areas though that don't normally have it:

- homes
- the workplace
- buses

Buses are like greenhouses when it's 25+ and the sun is out, and some people don't have an alternate commute choice. Like I'll never be able to drive a car due to low eyesight. I spent 4 days in Germany though when it was constant 25C, and a lot of the buses I went on had aircon equipped and was active.

I dunno what you guys think, but I just think it's needed more now in the UK. Should more homes have it now?

Back
Top Bottom