Shouldn't laptops be taking over now?

Associate
Laptops definitely have some technical merits, but its as I said before I feel for hardcore gaming PCs win out over them, for casual gaming touch devices win, where they seem king is for for portable production use and for portable gaming where the game is PC exclusive.

If you're talking sli desktops (Nvidia screwed laptop users with no bridge on mobile Turing) at £4K+ you are likely right. But if you can live with 100FPS@1440p desktops are not beating laptops.

Soldato
Sales indicate otherwise.

So no 1080ti laptops on OCUK (needed for 1440p), there is 2080 laptops but cheapest is 2.5k, and you think thats better than a desktop?

On top of that you have neck strain screen, still have to buy keyboard, mouse etc.

Then say 2 years down line I want to upgrade said laptop to a 3070 do I just swap out the gpu or buy another 2.5k laptop?

The screen is 1080p not 1440p as well, so monitor needed as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Sales indicate otherwise.

So no 1080ti laptops on OCUK (needed for 1440p), there is 2080 laptops but cheapest is 2.5k, and you think thats better than a desktop?

On top of that you have neck strain screen, still have to buy keyboard, mouse etc.

Then say 2 years down line I want to upgrade said laptop to a 3070 do I just swap out the gpu or buy another 2.5k laptop?

The screen is 1080p not 1440p as well, so monitor needed as well.

I agree sales favour desktops.

I'm not sure what you are doing with a laptop to get neck strain?

As with desktops you have options here; MXM GPU will sell at roughly the same price as it's initial value (check what used MXM cards are selling for now on the bay) and but a 3080. Or sell one laptop and buy another. Neither present any particularly great challenges.

I choose a 1080p@144Hz IPS over a 1440p@120Hz TN panel or a 4K@60Hz. Swapping out screens is straightforwards for those that are adept.

Associate
As with desktops you have options here; MXM GPU will sell at roughly the same price as it's initial value (check what used MXM cards are selling for now on the bay) and but a 3080. Or sell one laptop and buy another. Neither present any particularly great challenges.

The reason MXM gpus retain their value is because they are comparatively rare and imho a total rip off , i mean a second hand MXM gtx 1060 £450 ?. and average of £350 for a 980m ??????

I run a EVGA SC17 with a 1070 and a 4k gsync screen, its great for gaming on the go but i wouldn't replace my desktop with it, its hot , noisy , and pretty fragile.

And the biggest problem with laptops ? parts, nothing is standard, what happens when one of the weird shaped rubber feet fall off ? or a hinge breaks and damages the bezzel or the lid ? and even if you can source the parts its probably not worth it due to the price.

Pretty much all laptops even if your mental enough to stump up for a incremental gpu upgrade are built as disposable and not friendly to upgrade or repair. One of the most compelling reasons for a desktop is that its easily upgraded and repaired and for the most part is free of proprietary components.

So the tldr version of this thread so far is that laptops win the portable category (not including clevo based slab sized space heater and other equally retarded niche laptops )

Desktop wins , thermal performance, reliability , ease of repair, better comparable performance, and price.

Man of Honour
And the biggest problem with laptops ? parts, nothing is standard, what happens when one of the weird shaped rubber feet fall off ? or a hinge breaks and damages the bezzel or the lid ? and even if you can source the parts its probably not worth it due to the price.

Yeah that is a pain - take my Samsung 700G7C for instance - the CPU is still reasonably relevant, 16GB RAM but the GPU is showing its age and uses a propitiatory MXM layout and a weird VBIOS setup so you can't just replace it at random :( though was good when it was initially released as the layout meant the board was cooled far more effectively than normal meaning it overclocked well.

Back
Top Bottom