Show us your kitty cats

Soldato
I have never considered it cruel to keep cats indoors as some cats are more than happy to do so but others want to go out and then I feel it is cruel to restrict this even though I am aware of the dangers. My rescue fat Millie comes and goes as she pleases and loves her morning walk with me where she will explore the route. My latest edition, a cat that like like it was dumped and lived outdoors for months also comes and goes as he pleases, this is what they want and who am I to restrict them. Fortunately they do not have issues with other cats or dogs round here.

Aww...she doesn't look that fat :(

Soldato
Hoooman....I require cuddles.

DSC_2155.JPG

That is one soft looking kitteh.

Otis is being pretty aloof since arrival of new baby 4 weeks ago. Very slowly showing some small signs of affection, albeit mostly around feeding time.

Soldato
On Monday morning my eldest was on her way to work and found this little dude at the side of the road.

29341196798_90bc136aca_c.jpg

Took him to the local vets and they said if we don't take him he'll have to go to the local sanctuary - the sanctuary is a decent enough place, my partner's daughter helps out there on a Sunday.

I have taken him in and as no one has come forward to claim him it looks like he is staying. Had to tell my 5 year old he was on his holidays just in case he was claimed.

Vets put him at about 2 months old. No idea where he's come from. He was on the road near a wall that has a fairly large field behind it. It's also next to a primary school.

I asked in the school and asked in a house behind the field and no one knows anything. The guy at the house said there is a cat wondering about but it's not his. There are two other houses but no one was in. Not sure what to do if they say yes, we've lost one can we have it back? You'd think if someone is missing one you'd ask round the vets. A notice is on the vet FB page and we've shared it as much as possible.

I looked round the field yesterday. Couldn't hear anything but found some poo which might be cat. If I can I'll go look again this afternoon.

Only issue now is getting my 9 year old boy to accept the kitten. He's not particularly aggressive but hisses when the kitten comes near him. A couple of times he's not reacted and given the kitten a good sniff but eventually he starts to hiss. He's given the kitten a couple of swipes but more of a warning to stay away than an attack. He just avoids the kitten like the plague. I'm concerned for my older cat, I don't want him to be stressed by the newcomer. He still has his place on my bed and I'm making sure he still feels like No1. If I can get to at least a stage of toleration I'll be happy.

Any suggestions on helping the old boy accept the newcomer?

Soldato
Gorgeous kitten.

There are no hard and fast rules to this situation except it can take a fair bit of time and even then your old boy will perhaps only tolerate the new kitten.
Well done for taking it in.

Associate
It just takes time to get them introduced.

We're in the same situation as you, our kitten (Willow) looks just like yours too, though she's 4 months. We have a 1 and a half year old cat Baggy(Bagheera) who's the current king of the house.

Keep the kitten in a 'safe' room to start with everything they need. We keep Willow in our bathroom with everything she needs, we let her wonder around the house while Baggy is shut in another room, then shut her away and let him wonder around, so they could get used to each others scents. Start slowly introducing them, they'll hiss and growl at each other and may take the odd swat but it's pretty normal. We had a week of this, Baggy kept chasing her and cornering her and you sort of have to let them work out who's boss but make sure it's supervised in case it goes too far. Feeding them quite close together helps them associate each other with food which helps, try getting them to both play with the same toy too.

Ours are pretty much there now, he chases her, she chases him but occasionally he'll go too far and pin her and she'll start crying with ears back, that's when we intervene and let them cool off for a bit.

It's odd because she acts like she's terrified but after letting her out again she's running down to see what he's doing again. He's a lot bigger than her though, so he could be taking it too far and hurting her. You just need to pay attention to body language to tell when they're playing and when they're fighting.

Pics below of ours :)

jgVLAKn.jpg

yJIPzyO.jpg

Side note - Make sure you get him de-flea/vaccinated ASAP, especially if he's been outside so young. The previous owner of Willow was awful, rubbish cheap food, rubbish cheap litter and she had fleas when we got her, they didn't look after her. We took her to the vet, got her on Advocate and she's all good now.

Last edited:
Tabby white cats seem to be all the rage at the moment. :D Having fun with our 13 year old and the new addition, although Feliway seems to have chilled her out massively. In fact they get on pretty well these days. We've had her for about two months now, and she's very comfortable around the house and the kids. Still a bit playful/bitey with the old ankles and toes at times though. Always an interesting way to start the day!

wbJTlGR.jpg

hx7KXv9.gif

Soldato
Tabby white cats seem to be all the rage at the moment. :D Having fun with our 13 year old and the new addition, although Feliway seems to have chilled her out massively. In fact they get on pretty well these days. We've had her for about two months now, and she's very comfortable around the house and the kids. Still a bit playful/bitey with the old ankles and toes at times though. Always an interesting way to start the day!

wbJTlGR.jpg

hx7KXv9.gif
Ah bitey kittens, painful fun.

Soldato
Ronnie has done it again - had another scrap - picked him up earlier and found lot of blood and snot on my hand from underneath him - seem another abscess has burst - we didn't know it was there - he didn't show any discomfort when on my lap - no excessive licking and we think HTF did we miss that.- rang vet and told them but also we have two strips of anti boitics from when Holly was in - Vet checked on PC and said they are ok give him 1 1/2 twice a day - obviously if there is a problem bring him in.

Doesn't seem to be bothering him - he has a mouse behind here.

413950492.jpg

413950493.jpg

Man of Honour
I have the pleasure of looking after this lovely gal for the next three weeks :)

fohjKzM.jpg

She was absolutely terrified when we were transporting her and hid behind the sofa for the first couple of days but she's finally adjusting to the new environment (with the help of a Feliway diffuser).

72 hours with her and I've cat proofed my flat and started looking for kittens to adopt.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ronnie has done it again - had another scrap - picked him up earlier and found lot of blood and snot on my hand from underneath him - seem another abscess has burst - we didn't know it was there - he didn't show any discomfort when on my lap - no excessive licking and we think HTF did we miss that.- rang vet and told them but also we have two strips of anti boitics from when Holly was in - Vet checked on PC and said they are ok give him 1 1/2 twice a day - obviously if there is a problem bring him in.

Doesn't seem to be bothering him - he has a mouse behind here.
He seems to be in the wars a lot lately. Either getting beat up or getting fleas :p

Back
Top Bottom