Shower enclosures....6mm or 8mm glass?

Soldato
Just wondering what people think to the above? Any benefits of 8mm over 6mm other than its obviously thicker and therefore heavier? The specs of the glass look to be the same in that they are both easy clean stuff but just wondering if its worth the £60-£70 extra?

The two in question are below...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371514409072?var=640551808417
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331081604403?var=540281171749

Going to be getting a 1000x800 offset quadrant enclosure and base. Seem like very good deals on both of them really (coming in cheaper for everything that i'd specced up originally on Soak.com)

Caporegime
Personally I'd go with the thicker the better. It just feels nicer and more premium. Probably no real difference but hey, depends on what you want from a final product.

When we installed our shower last year we ended up with 10mm glass, but that was what was available rather than a conscious choice. We were dealing with a 6 ft opening and a 30" sliding door though so the extra weight/rigidity may be more beneficial than with a curved system, as that shape will probably offer more stability.

Soldato
Go thicker the price difference is tiny in the scheme of a bathroom refurb and you will appreciate the extra qualit. I'd personally avoid anything curved they always feel shonky we spent ages finding an alternative for our bathroom and went minimal walkin instead.

Soldato
Having inherited a rather tired-looking Atlas Quadrant with my new house, I was considering replacing all the yellowing seals and the pockmarked handles with spares from Bathstore, but for the same price it looks like I could just get an entire new enclosure from one of the links in the OP...

Are these designs all much of a muchness? New frame, glass, seals and assorted bits and bobs would make the bathroom like almost brand new for a little over £100.

Back
Top Bottom