Showing completed customer orders on a map - Solutions?

Consigliere
Morning,

My company would like to show where our orders are coming from and as we are international (just!), we're looking for a world map that shows where across the world our customers are.

At the moment we are exporting orders from WooCom and adding a layer onto Google Maps using the postcode but is there another solution that could also update in real time?

Permabanned
Cant you use the maps API to push pins into a real time map? Does have cost implications if you use it a lot but its not onerous.

Dont know much about WooCommerce but if you can schedule exports or add custom code it shouldnt be too difficult to have a real time(or nearly real time) updated map.

Consigliere
OP
Cant you use the maps API to push pins into a real time map? Does have cost implications if you use it a lot but its not onerous.

Dont know much about WooCommerce but if you can schedule exports or add custom code it shouldnt be too difficult to have a real time(or nearly real time) updated map.

I can ask about this but more looking for a free solution as it won't be used 'that much'.

Consigliere
OP

Any more info about this?

Soldato
google maps has an api... should be fairly easy to do using that

1. Get current location - grab gps cordinates of customers
2. use google api to pin those location
3. use google api to pin your store location
4. 1-3 repeat
5. if you need it real time put it on a webpage that refresh's said API

Soldato
You might want to check for data protection and privacy concerns with regards to the level of detail. Not everyone will want to be identified as a customer of yours. You might want to keep it at the county level.

Soldato
You might want to check for data protection and privacy concerns with regards to the level of detail. Not everyone will want to be identified as a customer of yours. You might want to keep it at the county level.

This and having a list of all your customers potentially out there will make it easier for others to potentially try going after them.

Associate

100% this. My first thought reading the original post was "I dont want my address pinned on a company site for anyone to view, I'll go elsewhere if they did that".

My second thought was data protection. Whilst using the customer data within your own company is likely fine for business need, sharing it in any manner to any person who doesn't have business need is a whole no no.

Soldato
100% this. My first thought reading the original post was "I dont want my address pinned on a company site for anyone to view, I'll go elsewhere if they did that".

My second thought was data protection. Whilst using the customer data within your own company is likely fine for business need, sharing it in any manner to any person who doesn't have business need is a whole no no.
specially if its a business with special equipment eg Laser cutters, people will know where to get hold of one by ramming in

Back
Top Bottom