Shuttle SH67H3 won't boot without a fan

Associate
Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue with my SH67H7 (same board as SH67H3) / i5-2500 / SSD Crucial M4.

I bought a Noctua NF-B9 and later a NF-B9 PWM when I realised that I bought the wrong fan (non-PWM) to replace the original noisy fan.

Like you, when I assembled the box, I only mounted the CPU, the RAM and the SSD to get the system working quickly.
When I remove the original fan and plug the NF-B9 PWM, the fan rotates for half a second and stops, and the system doesn't boot. If I plug both the NF-B9 and the NF-B9-PWM, the system boots but is of course noisy (the NF-B9 is at full speed as it is pluged on the 3-pin connector).
The amperages are :
  • AVC fan (original) : 0.41A
  • NF-B9 : 0.12A
  • NF-B9-PWM : 0.08A

Then, I found and read this thread.
Like you suggested, I tried to add a HDD and a DVD drive, but the shuttle still does not boot...
I understand that the shuttle performs an amperage test at boot to ensure there is a fan connected. What I do not understand is why a HDD or a DVD drive would change the amperage on the FAN connectors, as I would plug it on normal Sata power connectors...

Could you explain your solution?

Thanks a lot !

Associate
Holy thread-necro Batman! I bought a SH67H3 secondhand. It is a nice little system but the one I received had a fan that was loud (and gross) upon inspection. I wanted a replacement fan and what a pain this turned out to be.

I'm happy to report that here's a replacement that works. It has a 0.3A draw which was the highest I found on a non-stock fan. Apparently this is enough to satisfy the motherboard. I spent several days being annoyed at this so I'm happy to be able to report success. The craziest other post I saw was in German where the guy said that he manually swaps the fan each time he power cycles the system.

Silverstone Tek 92mm Ultra-Quiet PWM Fan with Anti-Vibration Rubber Pads Cooling FQ91

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NOTVCR4

Back
Top Bottom