Sigma 35mm f1.4....?!!

Caporegime
USB dock sounds interesting, in theory you could set up and auto calibration system.

It is important to have lenses calibrated to a standard but there is also an issue of having camera bodies that are at the extremes of alignment - to get optimal performance each lens needs to be calibrated against the particular body it will be used on. In camera microadjust only partially solves this issue, with zoom lenses you often make compromises between different focal lengths. Furthermore some lenses can suffer a pronounced focus shift when stopping down. A more advanced on lens calibration system could resolve these issues.

Looking forward to the 35mm f/1.4. If it as close to the Canon and Nikon lenses then I might consider getting one. A cheap but exceptional quality sigma 24mm f/1.4 would also be very nice, along with a Samyang 24mm TS!

Man of Honour
Considering that the Sigma 50 and 85 1.4s are neck and neck with the pricier Nikon?Canon versions in terms of IQ, no reason why this shouldn't be as well.

Also no reason why it should not be in my bag if the price is also inline with the other 1.4 Sigmas!

Soldato
Been waiting for this one, but it will depend on pricing... Hopefully it's closer to the 50 1.4 than the 85 1.4 in pricing, if not I might sell my 50 and decide between the Canon and Sigma.

Man of Honour
I'm thinking that if it is really good then I won't need the 50 1.4 as I will have the 85 anyway. The 35 would be dedicated almost full time then leaving the 17-40 for interiors and perspective shots unless Sigma then release a UWA prime!

Soldato
Very interested in this 35mm, I really want a 35mm prime to go with the 5D Mkii as it's a great length for a walkabout prime but I've been put off that canon only offer the cheap and reasonable 35mm f2 or the mega pricey 1.4 L version what I want is something in bettween with USM/HSM focussing and a rounded aperture which hopefully this sigma will offer!

Soldato
For those lazy people who want to know about the new USB proprietary

New user-control tools and software, and new quality control measures

The new Sigma Optimization Pro software and USB Dock are designed exclusively for these new product lines and will enable Sigma users to connect their lenses to their computers to update lens firmware and fine-tune focus parameters via easy-to-use, on-screen controls.

All of these new lenses will also be subject to Sigma’s new, proprietary modulation transfer function (MTF) measuring system called “A1.” Named in honor of the company’s sole production base, the Aizu factory in Aizu, Japan, the A1 system will allow inspectors to verify previously undetectable high-frequency details in each lens before it is shipped.

“We used to measure lens performance with a MTF measuring system using conventional sensors, but this new A1 system uses our own 46-megapixel Foveon direct imaging sensors,” said Yamaki. “We view this new method of performance evaluation as being incredibly important, not only because we owe it to our customers, but because we owe it to ourselves. We’ve spent more than 50 years perfecting our design and manufacturing processes, and now we deliver a complete package by closing the loop on that commitment to quality by adopting a more stringent verification process.”

For information about the Sigma Global Vision, the new product categories and products, or the evaluation method, visit http://www.sigma-global.com. For information about Sigma Corporation of America or the company’s cameras, lenses, or flashes, visit www.sigmaphoto.com.

Just to anyone who can answer a quick query. Has anyone used an Sig 85mm F/1.4 and a Canon 85mm F/1.2L side by side? In terms of IQ I know you pay for what you get but how fast is the motor is focusing?

My issue is with my Sigma 85mm, at low light conditions I find it slow to focus compared to my Canon 35mm F/1.4L for example. I know its like comparing night and day but I need to have an indication on the Canon 85mm F/1.2 how fast it performs?

Caporegime
Just to anyone who can answer a quick query. Has anyone used an Sig 85mm F/1.4 and a Canon 85mm F/1.2L side by side? In terms of IQ I know you pay for what you get but how fast is the motor is focusing?

I've read countless reviews comparing the 2.

Basically..

The IQ is on par with the 1.2, along wit the DOF.
It also has the focusing speed of the Canon 1.8
It's also about £500ish I think from memory.

I've been meaning to get one for some time :p

Soldato
I've read countless reviews comparing the 2.

Basically..

The IQ is on par with the 1.2, along wit the DOF.
It also has the focusing speed of the Canon 1.8
It's also about £500ish I think from memory.

I've been meaning to get one for some time :p

Are you talking about the Sigma or Canon? I've got the Sigma and when I go off to HK after the new year I think I can pick up a Canon 85mm F/1.2 for a good price given the exchange rate.

Soldato
You'll be surprise how close the prices are to Kerso, and I think DR and ******* are cheaper still.

I did have a look and when I brought my 35mm F/1.4 it was about £900 from a shop on **** Kok.

Raymond or anyone whos planning to shop in HK soon.
Visit this place.
101141322.NXggUIwg.HongKongMar06038.jpg

I was up and down HK looking to get my 5DMKII and in the end this place was the cheapest.

Caporegime
I did have a look and when I brought my 35mm F/1.4 it was about £900 from a shop on **** Kok.

Raymond or anyone whos planning to shop in HK soon.
Visit this place.
101141322.NXggUIwg.HongKongMar06038.jpg

I was up and down HK looking to get my 5DMKII and in the end this place was the cheapest.

http://*******.com/index.php/lens/canon/canon-ef-35mm-f-1-4l-usm-wide-angle-autofocus-lens.html

£905. Not worth the effort and risk of customs on the way back.

Even Kerso is only £975.

Back
Top Bottom