Signal strength of devices on a home hub

Associate
New forum member here looking for help. I have a heating controller which acts as a hub for various devices around my home. How can I monitor the signal strength received by each device connected to the hub?

Associate
OP
Not sure what info you need. The devices operate at 2.4GHz. They are connected to the supplied hub. I was hoping that you could suggest an app that can monitor all devices connected to the hub. Tools I have looked at will tell you all about the devices connected to your router but not a separate hub.

Associate
OP
The brand is Drayton, product is “Wiser”. They can check signal levels but the user cannot. I asked them. There must be an app somewhere that can monitor local wifi. The ones I looked at only access your router.

Soldato
In that case, there's no way to check. It's not standard WiFi they're using to connect to the hub, meaning Drayton themselves needs to offer a way for customers to check.

If some devices are losing connection to the Heat Hub, Drayton does offer a range extender.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That’s disappointing. I have a range extender but connection is being lost. I want to find the optimum position for it.
The hub and extender will be transmitting a 2.4GHz signal. It must be possible to measure it but I assume that special equipment would be required. Am I correct?

Soldato
Correct, you'll want something like a spectrum analyser, but they're not cheap.

Just to check, you're using Drayton's own extender right? Something like this: https://wiser.draytoncontrols.co.uk/smart-plug-wiser

Make sure it's not too far from the hub, and if there's for example a thick wall between them, put them much closer to each other. Ideally you don't want them near anything with a large metal surface too as that can reduce the signal strength.

Associate
OP
Yes I am using the Wiser plug as an extender. It’s only 6 metres away from the hub. I can move it closer to the hub but then it will be further away from the radiator valves. This is the reason why I needed to monitor the signal levels. I’ll try moving it.
Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom