Significant H/W changes - rectivate Windows - NOW!

Capodecina
Soldato
I have for many years had a Windows XP system. From time to time I boot it up, typically to use some ancient peripheral (e.g. my ancient Canon LiDE scanner), to do something with QuickBASIC or to recover data on other people's hard disk where their system has kicked the bucket.

To be honest, I haven't used it for months. However, yesterday I booted it up in order to use my scanner which doesn't work with later versions of Windows and was greeted with the message:
Since Windows was first activated on this computer the hardware has changed significantly.

Due to these changes, Windows must be reactivated within three days.

Do you want to reactivate Windows now? Y/N
It didn't say "Proceed straight to gaol, do not pass GO and do not collect £200" but it was pretty damned insistent.

From time to time i have connected up other PATA HDDs, changed the display screen, the keyboard / mouse combination and plugged in various USB ThumbDrives and for all I know I may even have changed the system drive with the aid of Acronis True Image at some time in the dim distant past. However, I have never changed the Motherboard, CPU or RAM.
Why am I being asked to reactivate Windows now; is there a way of sidestepping this request (permanently) and/or how can I avoid this tedious task in future?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Many thanks, that worked perfectly - I have no idea why? I should probably get rid of this PC, I only retain it to use XP for QuickBASIC support and maintenance and in order to access an ancient but still working Canon LiDE scanner.

Don
Many thanks, that worked perfectly - I have no idea why? I should probably get rid of this PC, I only retain it to use XP for QuickBASIC support and maintenance and in order to access an ancient but still working Canon LiDE scanner.

Could probably convert it to a Virtual machine with little effort, and run it under Virtualbox or VMWare player (or even Hyper-V if using Windows 10 Pro.)

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Could probably convert it to a Virtual machine with little effort, and run it under Virtualbox or VMWare player (or even Hyper-V if using Windows 10 Pro.)
I like the reference to "with little effort, but yes, that may be the way to go.
The alternative is to tell the QB users that I can no longer offer them support - let them eat cake!

Back
Top Bottom