Silence my Media Center please

Associate
Can you help to silence my media center??

I'm currently running a q-tec PSU and the rear fan has stopped working, so consequently turns off after a while when it overheats. So firstly can you spec me a PSU, it needs to run the following:

Athlon XP 2700+
ATI 9700 Pro
512Mb RAM
1 x CD Writer
1 x DVD-ROM
floppy drive
and a couple of fans.

Needs to be as quiet as possible, and no more than £40

Also can you give me an idea of what fans to fit to the system, 1 intake and 1exhaust and also a CPU fan, again as quiet as possible but not over £30 for all of them, the thing is i think i can only fit 60mm fans on.

2 x Akasa AK-186-L2B Ultra Quiet 60mm Fan - 3 pin - £7.90
Akasa Ultra Quiet 400W Paxpower Active PFC ATX2.0 PSU - £33.95

Subtotal £41.85
VAT £7.33
Total £49.18

That would leave you £20 for a CPU cooler, which I haven't put in because it depends on the size of your case (which judging by the 2 60mm fans is quite small).

What case have you got?

Quietest PSUs are either the Seasonic S12 430W or the 380W Antec Neo He

You won't go wrong with either, but the antec has modular cables where the seasonic doesn't. I'd pcik whichever suits your case layout best. The Seasonic has a large 120mm fan at the bottom which draws heat from the CPU (good) but through the PSU (could potentially cause the fan to ramp up under high load/high ambient temps)

The antec has a more straight through airflow design using just one 80mm fan. It means that if you have a suitable case the antec can draw fresh air from the front of the case. The downside is of course then the PSU doesn't help exhaust the warm air from the CPU.

All in all it doesn't actually matter that much - both are quality PSUs and extremely quiet.

Marc

Back
Top Bottom