Silence will (hopefully!) soon be mine

Soldato
Just ordered:

Thermalright SI-120 heatsink
Acoustifan Dustproof 120mm silent fan (42cfm at 16dB)

Zalman ZM-NB47J northbridge heatsink

Acoustifan Dustproof 80mm silent fan (20cfm at 16dB)

Zalman VF900 gpu cooler

About £115 all in :eek:
But hopefully it'll make my PC quiet enough to be permanently stationed in my bedroom for HDTV / DVD usage! Will find out this week I guess :p

Soldato
Hi there,

You shouldn't put noise down to figures on paper. Noise is all about perception not dBs....For instace, I would find what you have bought quite load as I have quiet sensitive ears.

Don't mean to put you down, but personally, I don't think that would be silence, but its all down to how sensitive you are to noise.

Thanks...

Soldato
Just a question for you - what psu are you using alongside that rig?

:)

edit: oh, me and paradox have the same idea, as some psu's can be louder than suggested - in my case the loudest component is my hiper type r psu.

Soldato
OP
I have a Tagan 530W, and it's pretty quiet, but it still has an 80mm fan, so it's not perfect.
I understand what people are saying, but I don't expect total silence, just a lot less noise!

When I tried my PC in my room the other night to watch a DVD the noise was very distracting. Most of it is coming from the graphics card (7900GT stock cooler), then the rear exhaust 80mm (Ys-tech at 7V), then the cpu fan (stock 3500+ AMD cooler).

If all the bits i've ordered work well, then i'll probably replace the intake 80mm fans (x2) with silent 80mm's, then probably look at the PSU or HDDs.

Soldato
OP
manveruppd said:
How can you have dustproof fans? :confused: Do they work as advertised? Let us know when you get them!

Well to quote the blurb:

"The fan motor for the DustPROOF range of virtually silent fans is extremely quiet. The AcoustiFan™ DustPROOF series use the highest quality double-ball bearings available for reliability, use-anywhere inside a PC for extra long life expectancy (upgrade your PC and take these fans with you!). One of the unique features of these PC fans is that the motor has been completely sealed from the outside environment. This prevents dust entering the motor and also reduces the amount of noise perceived to be coming from the bearings within the motor."

The dustproof thing is a bonus, but the main reason i've ordered them is because of how quiet they are. I'll be sure to report on how good they are when I get them!

Soldato
Similar to my rig.

SL-120 Akasa Amber
1 120mm fans at 5 volts.
1 Slow speed 120mm fan at 7 volts

Arctic cooling on graphics card , (they are as good as silent)

And the nosiest part in my case the Hiper 580w psu.

The computer is quiet but not silent.. its quiet enough to watch tv with but you can still hear it humming away.

The pc is also inside an Antec Sonata which is kept in an MDF cupboard, for extra silence.

Soldato
One extra thing you might want to do, at no extra cost, is cut off the grill infront of the front and rear fans (the grill built into the case as in the bit below). With it there; the air's being sucked through little holes, causing noise; it's putting extra strain on the fan, causing noise and it's lowering the air throughput - much better off without them.

fini

Soldato
OP
Ok I've finally had the time to put my silent kit in!
Unfortunately I need a different screwdriver to remove my current graphics card HSF, but I've managed to fit the following so far:

Thermalright SI-120 heatsink
Acoustifan Dustproof 120mm silent fan (42cfm at 16dB)
Zalman ZM-NB47J northbridge heatsink
Acoustifan Dustproof 80mm silent fan (20cfm at 16dB)
Acousti Anti-vibration 80mm Fan Gasket

And so far the difference is pretty big! At 7V, the SI-120 + 120mm is effectively silent, and it's lowered my cpu temps by around 4C (compared to the stock cooler at full speed).
The Northbridge fits fine, although it's quite hot to the touch, but no problems so far! :p
The 80mm silent case fan, combined with the Acousti Anti-vibration 80mm Fan Gasket has really helped to reduce noise also.

So overall noise is reduced, and most importantly case vibration has been greatly reduced, which I think was a big part of the problem. Now i've got the right screwdriver i'm looking forward to installing the VF-900 tonight to complete the setup! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom