Silverstone SG08

Soldato
Does anyone know when we can expect to see one of these in shops?

I really want to get one and I would have thought they would have said at Computex, when they first showed it, or shortly after.

I have tried searching but my googlefu is weak.

Soldato
OP
That would be perfect timing for my build! Is there any more detail around of the cases features/differences from the SG07?

Indeed same here.

Its the same internals as the SG07 but with a hench aluminium faceplate and USB3.0 ports on the front. Hopefully they will be attached to a proper header rather than the POS thing Lian Li did which required you to plug the cables in to your rear USB ports.

Soldato
OP
Pictures from the internets!

sg0834view150.png

sg08front.jpg

sg08leftinside.jpg

sg0834viewinterior.jpg

sg08back.jpg

Apparently it is out now in Japan but still a November release for us.
I still don't get why it has taken them months to distribute a new faceplate for the SG07.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Mainly a lack of a good space to mount an H5O. Also cable routing is an absolute nightmare.

True but you could certainly get an H60 in there. I don't think that the cable routing is bad? Your SATA power cables go through at the front of the case between the front and the 3.5". 24-pin goes down between the PSU and mobo. The 4-pin goes along the top next to the power cable above the GPU and down to the mobo at the back. PCI-e power just goes straight in and your SATA and front I/O go straight down to the floor and run along to their respective ports.

That said I will be doing a full custom PSU for this with each cable measured, connected and braided in such a way as to get the best cable routing as the PSU that Silverstone supply is really not that good for cable management.

Soldato
OP
I still think the SG05 is a better design with only two floors, that being the plastic face plate and cards like the GTX 580 not fitting!

I'm seriously looking at moding the SG05 450w so I can fit my GTX 580 inside. From what I've googled I'll need to cut the metal behind the face plate. Although i'm no quite sure if the plastic face plate will fit back on flush?

I cant be doing with the restriction on coolers and the silly little fan in the PSU. Not to mention the restriction on GPU length (although as you said it will fot longer cards with a simple mod.)

Soldato
OP
Well technically yes, the H50/60/70/80 would all fit. But it's a hell of a squeeze, requires quite a bodge if you want to keep the AP fan, and (when I tried it) constricts the pipes so much the pump buzzes.

Cable routing is a right PITA mainly due to cable length. What were SS thinking with this PSU? :/

Ah fair enough. The AP fan and the PSU will be the first things to go once mine arrives. I just wish case manufacturers would stop bundling stuff like this or at least offer the option not to have it and pay less.

Soldato
OP
Well apparently it should be hitting European distributors this month. That is from Silverstone themselves so lets keep our fingers crossed. Hopefully I will be able to treat myself to a nice early Christmas present.

Soldato
OP
Found this for sale at a competitor here in the UK. Priced at £193.60. Seems quite pricey. Also it says it will be in stock on the 30th...just in time for a pay packet. Oh gods. Its so much but I want it so much too. Gah!

Soldato
OP
Wow pricy was thinking around £160 max you could get the latest shuttle for £205 delivered.

That would never happen when you consider the current price of the SG07 is over £160. I will be getting one just hoping OcUK gets them in cheaper. I did ask in the new products/suggestions and rjkoneill said he would ask Ace Modder but hasn't got back to me yet.

Soldato
OP
^Apart from the gigabyte h67n, which is pretty much the only solid choice. ;)

You're right, it looks like Z75/7 for new ones at the earliest. I just hope there's a bit more variety and performance.

:D

As long as they aren't all H77 again the lower TDP on Ivy should make for some better overclocking on ITX boards same as the lower TDP of Westmere allowed for the H55N to become great. I think I'll be staying with Sandy till Haswell though. More looking forward to GCN and Kepler as my big hardware purchase for the next year.

In other news placed my order hopefully arriving next week :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom