Sim Rig PC - The never ending upgrade

Associate
OP
Didn't know this was a thing but now that I do, I need it... I hate the bezel between my screens, even if it is only about 1cm in total.

Wish I could justify a racing setup like yours, it looks great.
The only thing I would say about them is that they are only any good for game play.

You wouldn't want them on a triple screen setup you do desktop work on, as it can distort text at the side of your screen.

Associate
The only thing I would say about them is that they are only any good for game play.

You wouldn't want them on a triple screen setup you do desktop work on, as it can distort text at the side of your screen.

Good to know, thanks. I'll have to decide whether I'm willing to keep taking them off for work. How annoying are they to add/remove as needed?

Associate
OP
They slide in and out of their mounts with the press of a button, so should be easy to remove one mount per side and put them aside.

The only concern is that I read one guy had issues with microcracks in them from adjusting them. It could just be user error, but if it's a more common issue then maybe constantly removing and replacing them could accelerate the issue?

I've had no issue with mine, though.

Associate
They slide in and out of their mounts with the press of a button, so should be easy to remove one mount per side and put them aside.

The only concern is that I read one guy had issues with microcracks in them from adjusting them. It could just be user error, but if it's a more common issue then maybe constantly removing and replacing them could accelerate the issue?

I've had no issue with mine, though.

I guess I'll think about it a bit (and maybe do some research) before impulse buying the kit, thanks.

Associate
OP
Unable to leave things alone, I made some more changes.

I'm building a second PC so the Sim can have a dedicated machine. This means a 5900x on the way, a potential need for a better CPU cooler, but I need another one anyway.

I opted for the Lian-Li Galahad 360 as it seemed to be one the better rated coolers you can actually get ahold of at the moment. It's pretty impressive, having brought idle temps down from around 30-32 to 25-26c (not tested under heavy load yet) I'm a bit disappointed by the brightless of the LEDs on the pump, though!

I also managed to get hold of some Corsair QL120s to replace my side fans.

Edit:

Just realised my mistake on the bottom fans. I'm a bit gutted - looks like I'm going to need to order another three QL120s :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
is iracing worth getting? got a basic sim setup but not really used it much

If you like the idea of some kind of skill based match making and leagues for online racing, then iRacing is perfect.

Unmatched in fact, but it costs money. Once you move beyond the rookie MX5s then you have to start buying cars and tracks.

Associate
Finally got my 5900x sorted along with 6 QL120s that look loads better as intakes than the previous fans.

Also replaced the Lian-Li fans with the old LL120s. I think I can finally leave it well alone now

Untitled by mikehhhhhhh, on Flickr

Looking at this has me thinking "why did I put my Galahad the other way round?". Might have to turn it around when the rest of my fans turn up as it looks much cleaner the way you have it.

XV8S0MU.jpg

Back
Top Bottom