Simplest way to extend wifi networks

Associate
Hello all,

Now, networking is never something I've had much abilities in so I figured help is worth asking for here!

I live in a flat, now normally you wouldn't ever think this was an issue but it's an old building with very substantial brick walls throughout the flat, thus wifi performance is seriously hampered.

We have a TP Link Archer VR400 router, what would be the most reliable way to get solid wifi performance throughout the flat. I've considered homeplugs with wifi built in as a simple option, especially as my PC is in another room and connected via these so I know the power cables are suitable.

Is it worth loking at the 'plug and play' wireless range adaptors?

Soldato
That assumes the thick walls won't have a serious impact on the wireless backhaul.

You could use a wired backhaul, but people in flats are usually averse to running cables.

Associate
OP
That assumes the thick walls won't have a serious impact on the wireless backhaul.

You could use a wired backhaul, but people in flats are usually averse to running cables.

I'd probably look at a 3 piece mesh if going that way, 1 directly connected to the modem and 1 connected in the office via powerline adaptor. That way, its only 1 unti picking up wifi and repeating it. Our devices pick up wifi from one end of the bedroom fine, but it seems to taper out drastically towards the outer edges.

Also, in regards to mesh networks, I assume I can still use the original router as a network switch and you just turn the wifi network creation off? I have all my living room kit connected to the router via a cable and a network switch behind the tv

Back
Top Bottom