Simpleton needs help changing a tire... (Raleigh Stoweway electric folding bike)

Associate
Evening all!

Complete novice here despite having ridden a bike in and out of work for the past 6 months...

Noticed my tire rear tire was completely flat before leaving tonight. Pumped back to full and headed home. Wasn't completely flat when I got back but definitely less so.

My question, how easy is it to identify and order a replacement? Would it be easier for me to jsut chuck a repair guy some cash to get it done?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and sorry for such a noobish question. I'd Google it but brain is fried...

Soldato
Is it that your tyre is damaged, or just that you have a flat?

If the latter, then remove wheel, use tyre levels to remove inner tube, check inside tyre for any thorns or whatever has punctured the inner tube. You then need to either repair the inner tube or just replace it.

Associate
OP
Is it that your tyre is damaged, or just that you have a flat?

If the latter, then remove wheel, use tyre levels to remove inner tube, check inside tyre for any thorns or whatever has punctured the inner tube. You then need to either repair the inner tube or just replace it.

Honestly I have next to no idea. I can't see any visible damage to the tire itself so I assume it must just be the inner tube?

Soldato
Honestly I have next to no idea. I can't see any visible damage to the tire itself so I assume it must just be the inner tube?

Yes more than likely. If it went down slowly then you probably have a thorn or maybe nail in your tyre. Have a quick visual inspection of the tyre to see if you can see anything sticking into it, as it will need to be removed. Next step, remove the wheel ...

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, ordered all the necessary tools to get the wheel off and inner tube out (a more sensible person would already own these but hey ho...).

Is it worth looking into maybe getting a thicker, more substantial tire or will the slime tubes @aVdub suggested serve a similar purpose?
As mentioned in the OP, I ride probably 6km pretty much everyday in some fairly rough areas (broken glass everywhere with incredibly uneven surfaces). I'm keen to limit these sorts of issues as much as I can as have come to rely on the bike somewhat.

Soldato
Thanks guys, ordered all the necessary tools to get the wheel off and inner tube out (a more sensible person would already own these but hey ho...).

Is it worth looking into maybe getting a thicker, more substantial tire or will the slime tubes @aVdub suggested serve a similar purpose?
As mentioned in the OP, I ride probably 6km pretty much everyday in some fairly rough areas (broken glass everywhere with incredibly uneven surfaces). I'm keen to limit these sorts of issues as much as I can as have come to rely on the bike somewhat.

I'm using Slimes on my ride to work bike and it see's me good for a year at least (+- a little)

The Slime acts as a sealant in the event of a puncture (size of cut dependant)

Soldato

You can get kevlar reinforced tyres for puncture resistance. You can also get puncture resistant strips that you stick inside your existing tyres (I bought some of these and haven't had a puncture since). Either of these options would be good if you don't like fixing punctures!

Soldato
Re you guys using Slime
Can you remove a tyre/inner tube without having a mess?and re-use the tube
i mean that i want to replace the tyre but the inner tube is slimed?

Yes

Other products are on the market, other than Slime.
I've taken to buying standard tubes now with removable valves and filling up with Stans.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers :)
i take it remove tyre leave valve on top for a while and let air out?

When fitting a new tyre I ensure the valve is at the top of wheel and remove most of the air.
Tyre off, new one on and inflate with valve at the top of the wheel.

You may find if fitting a new tyre it is better to also fit a new Slime tube, or Stans.

There are plenty of helpful videos on that video website that will be able to show you how easy it can be.

Soldato
just finished :D
All went well and the Slime looks like it is working as i found a tiny blob of slime on the inner tube and a small sharp something inside the old tyre
Cleaned the inner tube and put a patch on just in case
Will give it a few days to check it stays up

Back
Top Bottom