Simply loverly...

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Check this link:
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=20763

quick photo:
tn_Toyobaru_2-L.jpg

Apparently seen as the spiritual successor to the AE86, complete with rwd. Gotta love it.

Soldato
Front and Side I love, rear not so much (don't think I'd go so far as to say it's ugly though...)

Be interested to know what it weighs, and how it actually drives (or should that be will weigh/will drive :p) but I like :)

Man of Honour
Apparently seen as the spiritual successor to the AE86, complete with rwd. Gotta love it.

I really dont see how, all the AE86 was was a fairly mundane, crappy Corolla which the enthusiasts inadverently went bonkers over it as it ended up being one of the last RWD cars of its type and therefore ideally suited to the drift scene.

Whereas this is designed a s sports type car?

Soldato
It was all good until I saw 'boxer power'.

What a complete fail of an engine. Would be better with the 1.8 190bhp Toyota engine and even that wouldn't be that great.

Something like the old beams engine would do the job, revamp it and away you go.

Caporegime
It's smaller than a Focus. Had it been bigger with a 6 pot engine it would be a credible threat to the 370. Instead they've gone for the boring economarket. SNORE. No MR2, Celica or Supra replacement = boring Toyota.

Soldato
Looks quite cool I suppose. I like it, it's going to have to be quite a bit below 20k though IMO.

Anyway I thought the Altezza was supposed to be the 86's 'spiritual successor'? I can see this is much more like it though. As for those of you going on about the engine being boring because it only has 140hp, power was hardly the major selling point of the original 86 was it.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
[TW]Fox;15040398 said:
I really dont see how, all the AE86 was was a fairly mundane, crappy Corolla which the enthusiasts inadverently went bonkers over it as it ended up being one of the last RWD cars of its type and therefore ideally suited to the drift scene.

Whereas this is designed a s sports type car?

As you were probably at nursery school when the AE86 was new, maybe I should add some context.
Back in the mid-80s we had:
- The real nutter available was the Sierra cossie, but that was nearly £20k at the time. Came with around 205hp (assuming we're not talking about the RS500 version). Yes there was also the E30 M3, Delta Evo, but they were also similarly expensive.
- Top of the pile of more normal road cars was the BMW 325 with a massive 170hp.
- The best hot hatch was the Golf Gti 16v with 139hp, most used the 8v engine with 115hp

So whilst the AE86 looks like it's powered by a damp squid nowadays, 122hp back then was quite a lot, certainly more than most hot hatches produced, and linked to a fairly light weight gave it a respectable turn of speed (if now shamed by a lot of diesel saloons).
More to the point was how they drove. It had tons of feedback, great balance and an engine that red lined at 7800rpm. It was pretty much a VTEC engine, but before Honda made that area of the market their own.

Think of the performance and fun factor as more akin to a coupe MX5 and you'll understand where I'm coming from now.

For all that, I do think that they now command bonkers money, and if I were my money on the line, it would be on an MX5.

Caporegime
That's all well and good but this 'successor' has less power than a hot-hatch and will most probably end not being very light. I'm finding it hard to see how it's some sort of successor when it has none of the originals' traits.

Back
Top Bottom