Site set up help

Soldato
Hello, bit of an unravel this one but I'm sure that it's a setting or 2 I've missed and nothing more but it's driving me mental and I could really do with the help.

Will try to be as brief as possible.

I bought a domain name (we'll say domain A) years ago just to host one page for my CV on and got some free hosting. I put a simple wordpress on it and left it be, it's far from any good but it worked, took forever to load and I was terrible at keeping up to date but it was what it was.

Now I wanted to do 2 things, update that website onto much better hosting and also start another site for a side project I'd been thinking about for ages.

I bought a GoDaddy managed Wordpress account and registered another domain name for free (domain B). The godaddy set up allows you to just put in the URL (domain A) and your wordpress log in details and then it migrates it all across.

I did that but then I couldn't find the nameserver details or anything for me to put in domain A (registered with 123-reg) so I went on chat and was given a bunch of settings. I asked him where he'd gotten those details from and his only answer was "I'm the host admin" which was helpful, don't know how you're supposed to do that without support then.

So I put these details in and nothing happened, the original URL just says the server's DNS can't be found so clearly I've missed something here.

On 123-reg I'm given the nameservers input and then the advanced DNS. I have 2 nameservers in that godaddy gave me (mns01.domaincontrol.com and 2) and in the DNS the records are 2 A Records (one labelled * and the other @) and 2 MX records, both labelled @ with priorities of 10 and 20.

I've tried a bunch of different combinations of this and have been continually checking what's happening with whatsmydns.net. Every now and then I get the original nameserver (from freehosting.com) on most and then the new one on maybe one or 2 of the locations, sometimes there's even a weird one I haven't seen before in there.

Checking the A record on there just always brings up the original IP.

I know that's a long confusing ramble of what's happened and without knowing the exact specifics what help can be minimal but I'd appreciate it. I know the propagation takes a while but I started this process on Saturday morning and it's still farting around.

If anyone can help me out in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Soldato
If I understand correct, you could put a simple php script and redirect from domain B to domain A. Something like this,
Code:
header("Location: http://domainA.com");

Soldato
OP
Seems to have propagated now but all I'm getting on the URL is a blank HTML document with 'pageok' on it.

I went into the godaddy change domain bit and put in the URL and it said I'd need to change the A records again, done that now but still just says pageOK.

There's a link in there to go to the WPAdmin but when I do that it still just loads the blank message.

mrbell I'll PM you the URL as it's a personal link, thanks.

Permabanned
Feel free to email me in trust, I could take a look. I resolved it last time for someone else. Exactly the same thing.

I wouldn't dare buy a domain through Go Daddy or 123 reg. I keep all my hosting/domains under one roof now. It's much simpler to manage.

Have you set your domain in your hosting system yet by the way? PageOK means that everything is pointing in the right direction on GoDaddy's Servers but just need to set the site up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom