Size of your Windows 11 OS partition?

Soldato
About to set up a whole new Window 11 machine to replace my current Window 10 one. My 240gb C drive on my existing PC (so Windows 10 OS and a lot of apps etc) has 75gb still free.

I was planning on making the new Windows 11's C drive 300gb just to be safe, plus I envisage after a clean install (the old machine came from Windows 8.1 10yrs ago), it'll use a lot less than the existing 240gb of usage as well.

300gb sound a sensible amount for a Windows 11 OS? Don't want to fall short in a year or so...

ps: Games and the like are all stored on a different partition.

Soldato
OP
I suspect there's a lot of stuff tied up on the old machine in ten years of Windows 8.1-->Windows 10 updates and the likes...

Soldato
OP
To give you an idea, here is my Windows install, it is an old install just in-place upgraded each OS release since Vista, and has been cloned over to new HDDs and SSDs over the years.

XkkYpwd.png

Keep in mind you have 16GB of RAM, so Windows will sideline out 16GB of storage space to the pagefile too, so that's 16GB gone just there. Personally I would just upgrade the drive to a larger SSD dedicated to just the OS and apps. Ditch partitions and use a dedicated SSD for games (or the same one if it's large enough like 2TB). Using partitions could pose a risk if a drive fails or there's an issue that renders is unusable, your documents or games partitions would be lost etc.
That's fine... I'll do regular backups in effect of the whole 4tb drive (with all the partitions). Any failure, new 4tb drive in, restore... Done.

That said, I've not had a drive fail in over 10yrs now...

ps: New machine will have 32gb of ram.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My windows 11 folder is 26gb i've stuck it on a 120gb old ssd for now recently installed have got 35 gb left after some apps have been put on it.

32gb is being taken up by pagefile hiberfil.sys wiztree says.
Thanks...

My Windows 10 (from Windows 8.1) is 29 gb. My program folders add up to about 32gb.

So I'm guessing/hoping 300gb will be more than safe partition size wise...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom