Skoda Superb...alternatives?

Caporegime
With a second kid on the way, we're looking at getting rid of the Golf (*sniff*) and swapping it for a larger family car.

These Superbs sound almost too good to be true. HUGE, well built, reliable, great value, hilarious boot space in estate guise, good residuals, and not bad looking (in estate guise).

The engine choice isn't amazing for a flagship car of such size, but then I can understand why VAG nerfed that with Audi to consider, and I've lived with the 1.4 TSI for the past 4 years so can easily stomach VAG's 1.8 TSI or 2.0 170 diesel.

I've also considered the Mondeo, but cannot really get on with the looks of the estate. It also doesn't seem as well built as the Superb in terms of how the interior feels. We only do ~9k miles a year, so I'd ideally be looking at the petrol models but would be fine with the diesel if it was well specced in every other way.

So...my question is, what am I missing? Or is this a no-brainer for a family man that needs lots of space for carrying baby stuff?

Anyone own one here? How do you like it? Any other alternatives apart from the Mondeo?

Caporegime
OP
A4 carries too much Audi premium for me at the moment. When I'm 50 or when I stop being an accountant I may be able to overlook this.

The Octavia is alright, but my in-laws have one and it's not *that* big as a family car even in estate form, when this family carries far more clobber everywhere than any family should.

As much as I'd love a 5 series, my budget won't get me one right now.

The big petrols appear to be non-existent for all intents and purposes, so realistically it's looking like a diseasel or the 1.8.

Look at that leg room :eek::

td5s0Li.png

~1600L of boot space with the seats down!

I quite like this colour:

PU03vPv.png

So unless there are any great reasons not to buy one, I guess I'll start hunting! There's a new one just out too so maybe this will help me when buying an 08> model.

Caporegime
OP
Well, slight change of plan today as my dad called to say he was getting rid of his 2008 Volvo S80 2.4D SE and will sell to me for a price I cannot pass up (£2k off px price). So it looks like our family car will be a Volvo for the moment! They're bringing it up in 2 weeks.

It's grey with cream leather, not sure what options it comes with or what was standard.

No SatNav or Xenons, but as I say for the money, I simply can't say no. Cheers anyway!

Caporegime
OP
We are now keeping the Golf because my dad has practically given us the S80, so even though we don't need to, we're going to run two cars.

We did consider the idea of going down the roof bar / box route, but we're quite a tall family and the little one's legs are impeded by the back of the seat in the Golf when she's in her child seat. Also it's much better being able to shove everything in the boot than sticking a roof box on I think.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
In case anyone's interested, I went through with the S80 purchase.

w5aez99.jpg

Two grey cars :/ :p

G3hb8UG.jpg

oI30J50.jpg

We're very pleased, especially for £3,400. Lots of car for the money, very comfortable. Not particularly class leading in any category, apart from maybe safety? But as a wafty commuter / family carrier, it's going to be great I think.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Very nice car for that sort of money :) Not sure i'd want the saloon as a family car though.

This is a point, and had it not been for my dad selling this to us for so little, we'd have gone for a V70 or a Superb estate.

I think with a young family (2 year old and one on the way), this should do for a good few years though.

Caporegime
OP
[TW]Fox;25465901 said:
What are those reflector lights doing on Volvo's top end luxury saloon!? Otherwise very nice.

I know :(. It's not got parking sensors either!!!

Swopped it in the end as i just started hating on it given the image and boat handling.

I can see that happening at some point, once the 'omg so comfortable' novelty wears off.

The boot is pretty big, but again not class-leading compared to the 5 series / A6 of the same era. But as you say, it's a lot cheaper than those, with rapid depreciation.

The boot does have a really handy flap that lifts up to provide a smaller section for shopping, which saves reaching right to the back of the boot to fetch bags that have slid there when braking.

Commuting has been a very relaxing experience, and the car as expected deals well with colder weather.

It's got heated seats, heated washer jets, a really good heater blower, and it clears the screens very quickly. It must use something other than engine temperature to clear the front screen, as the button made the fan go nuts and clear the windscreen very quickly. I don't think it's got quick clear or anything, so I reckon it's using some kind of electric heater.

Back
Top Bottom