Skoda

Soldato
Just got a poly' dog-bone fitted to mine along with all the other poly' bushes. Feels nice and direct on the throttle with that and a remap. Steering is pretty direct with the Weitec suspension and 225 tyres.

The car is not without it's faults but it's pretty raw and nice to drive now. :)

I think I need a RARB next.

mine vibrated the dash noticably, is there any effect on yours?

i heard that altering the idle speed can help overcome the problem though

Soldato
OP
Small update,

My car is fitted with a Forge 007P Recirculating Valve. Leaks are reported/highlighted due to a poor piston design, Forge have now revised this and added a seal to the base of the piston. A lot of people who own one have been sent a revised 'service kit' out for free, so I emailed and asked for one and they sent it out same day.

Fitted it today, no difference but just peace of mind given really..

866160B8-AB85-4209-9FC5-45D6EE895930-5002-000006695E60C07F.jpg

Soldato
OP
Bit of exhaust fettling today. Tailpipe hanged a bit low because of the weight pulling on the Y-shaped rubber. Couple of slits cut and banded up with stainless tie wraps, looks much better :)

CC62BB80-AA60-423F-A20E-03A9F3F1B5D2-930-000000E79B8C2F69.jpg

6DB0D45F-82AA-449E-A192-0A9DF4074993-930-000000E793D88483.jpg

9C9C4872-9DE1-433A-9CAD-60F402CAC0B0-930-000000E7A1974F2B.jpg

Could still do with going 10mm higher but I would need to look at different hangers/rubbers.

Soldato
Do you guys think a larger downpipe and decat have much of an effect on throttle response and the turbo? I wouldn't mind getting a more sporty throttle feel from my 1.8t TT. A decat would be a cheap way of getting that raspy exhaust tone and maybe freeing up an exhaust restriction.

Soldato
OP
I didn't bother with a decat, couldn't be doing with the hassle at MOT time.

I fitted a Milltek Sports Cat/Downpipe to my car and pre-map is definitely made the Turbo spool up quicker, have a look back a few pages and you will see the difference over stock. Still needs a map to make the most of it though.

Also, even though it was a 200cel cat, it still threw up EML after a few hundred miles for the post-cat lambda. Mapped out now though.

R-Tech Stage 1 maps are £200 or £250 depending on if you go for generic or custom, I'd be visiting them if you want more drivability!

Associate
question..

What oil do you guys use in your petrol vRS? The flashing dashboard light is on to check the oil levels and was thinking about something like Castrol Edge 5W-30.

Is this stuff any better than say Halfords/Shell's own branded fully synthetic oil?

Soldato
Do you guys think a larger downpipe and decat have much of an effect on throttle response and the turbo? I wouldn't mind getting a more sporty throttle feel from my 1.8t TT. A decat would be a cheap way of getting that raspy exhaust tone and maybe freeing up an exhaust restriction.

From what I understand a 3" system is best for a forced induction turbo charged petrol cars - a true 3" system with decat won't be cheap and likely have to be custom made as I can't imagine there is much call for them. As mentioned by Milltek is a good make and I would only stick to reputable makes. APS is a great make but not sure if they do Skoda exhausts.

Decat, uprated fuel pump (Walbro etc) air filter and proper remap (not one of those 'send it in the post' efforts) would probably get you the best value for money. Maybe a boost controller. I couldn't speak highly enough of getting a remap done, especially if the mapper does on-road mapping as well as rolling road as real world performance much better than only on a dyno! Avoid the 'one map fits all' mappers as well as every car fuels/runs differently and even the type of fuel used can have an impact.

Edited to add - also get everything done (modification-wise) at the same time if possible and then get it mapped - amazing how much a different filter or exhaust has an impact on fuelling for example.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good morning all!

I don't often come into motors but I am aware I should tread lightly :)

I will be joining the Skoda fold (more than likely) today with a 03 plate Octavia VRS with 67k on the clock. Buying from a friend so we know the history of the car very well. Its a pretty clean example and with such low mileage for its year!

I will get some pics up as soon as she is "mine" due to give it a once over tonight before I commit finally. Any known things you guys can add to check out for?

Also Phil you car looks like a great example. If I get stuck in the future on repairs I know where to come :)

Associate
Good morning all!

I don't often come into motors but I am aware I should tread lightly :)

I will be joining the Skoda fold (more than likely) today with a 03 plate Octavia VRS with 67k on the clock. Buying from a friend so we know the history of the car very well. Its a pretty clean example and with such low mileage for its year!

I will get some pics up as soon as she is "mine" due to give it a once over tonight before I commit finally. Any known things you guys can add to check out for?

Also Phil you car looks like a great example. If I get stuck in the future on repairs I know where to come :)

Sounds good. What colour is it?

Soldato
OP
Black is a great colour, I didn't buy one because I was too fussy about scratches :(

Crap update. Brother bought a vRS and it came with an Alpine CDE111R, £30 later and it was mine, came with the Hi-Speed cable too :)

Great for me as my phone plugs straight in. File/folder search isn't fantastic but it works.

53D7970C-E965-4CAB-8D9B-D61F6F92E2DB-2137-0000025A7C7EB857.jpg

Oh, and my brother came round with his new car too...

61BC35EF-7D66-43CC-91F7-65199836438C-2137-000002661112E742.jpg

:rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Over the odds. Paid a touch under £3900 for it. I paid £3700ish for mine in August 2011 and it had 58k on at the time. He bought on the same basis on me really, pay a bit more for lower mileage and better physical condition. His seats are actually white, too :D

Soldato
Over the odds. Paid a touch under £3900 for it. I paid £3700ish for mine in August 2011 and it had 58k on at the time. He bought on the same basis on me really, pay a bit more for lower mileage and better physical condition. His seats are actually white, too :D

Ah ok I wanted to gauge how "decent" a deal mine was.

Mine has a tad higher milage at 67k but paid 3k for it. Its pretty mint all over and I know the history of a car as it came from a good friend. Car has the most history for any car I have ever had.

I do have front ARB noise though so need to get that sorted as soon as possible.

Edit: Pictures as promised:

imag0657d.jpg

imag0656vt.jpg

imag0658b.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom