Skoda

Soldato
OP
As said a few posts before, 35-37mpg on a steady run according to the car, Stage 2 mapped though. It does show as high as 42mpg on the trip but take that with a pinch of salt..!

Soldato
OP
Oh and as for reliability mines never let me down, coil packs like to go pop but get them replaced by the dealer under recall if not already done :)

Soldato
Oh and as for reliability mines never let me down, coil packs like to go pop but get them replaced by the dealer under recall if not already done :)

Regardless of age? I'll see if they've been done or not. Any other reliability issues? Cambelt/waterpump too look out for? Fusebox on top of the battery?

Anything else?

Soldato
Regardless of age? I'll see if they've been done or not. Any other reliability issues? Cambelt/waterpump too look out for? Fusebox on top of the battery?

Anything else?

Just make sure it's not chucking out smoke at idle or when you boot it. Turbo should make that well known hiss noise, but anything that sounds like a tired old turbo derv is not normal.

Soldato
I went to view one today. Really nice example and it was in very good condition. Had 90 on the clock and he wanted around £3k for it. I'll have to wait until I sell my car as I'll get more for it then P/X.

There was a noise on start-up that was a diesel like rattle, and it seemed like the cambelt was making a noise, although it was changed at 79k in 2011. No smoke on idle when revved, and it pulled very very well. I've got my benchmark incase it sells, but they drive nice. Could make a decent handling car with some stiffening as bodyroll was present.

Soldato
I see. Well I'll look at a few more examples when I get the time. I would have liked steering wheel controls etc, but the initial impression of the car was good. The styling could have been better, but I can see the past that.

Soldato
I see. Well I'll look at a few more examples when I get the time. I would have liked steering wheel controls etc, but the initial impression of the car was good. The styling could have been better, but I can see the past that.

Sounds like your not 100% about the car. Don't buy something if your not bowled over by it.

Soldato
Sounds like your not 100% about the car. Don't buy something if your not bowled over by it.

I am not. So I'm happy that I have more time to think about it. I think the engine is decent, nice torque and pull. Very smooth. I'm unsure about running costs/bills, but they seem reasonable when it comes to parts prices/repairs.

I'll have to think about it more so.

Soldato
I've been looking at estates mainly. I have yet to see a Saloon version in person but the boot does look mighty big in it. They seem to be cheaper then the estates, and with a roof rack I'm sure it would be just as practical.

Soldato
You need to go out in one that's been remapped, totally different drive to that of a standard 180 car.

Are you sure the noise on start-up wasn't the SAI pump? Did it stop after a couple of minutes?

I'm not sure Phil, it's the first one I've viewed. The rattle was on start-up it went straight away afterwards. The other noise of what seemed like the cambelt hitting something went away when revved but came back on idle.

I think for the value they're going at they're worth it. A lot of car for the money. I'm sure when remapped they're totally different. I felt the surge at 1800rpm when the turbo came into play and it pulled well until the redline.

I'm just having second thoughts about the styling/interior etc. White seats? I really want to know what they were thinking, but they do look great. It's a comfortable car, and seems to be very economical.

I've also had the BMW 330d in mind as I think the 330i costs would be high, but then with servicing/incase anything goes wrong it could be a higher package for me to pay.

Soldato
OP
White seats aren't all that bad to be honest, I keep on top of mine and they don't get dirty easily, usually have a seat cover on the drivers seat for day to day though.

Soldato
OP
They are a good compromise. Reasonably nippy as standard, pretty spacious boot (hatch or estate). I don't find mine particularly good looking but they are a reasonably rare spot out on the road now, you can always spot them when one is passing though.

Back
Top Bottom