Sky Fibre Optic

Soldato
I just had the Sky router delivered and reading through the stuff it says I connect the OR Fibre Modem into the router via an RJ45, seeing as I won't be using wireless and will only have a single PC connected, why can't I just plug the Modem into my PC? I don't see the point of having the router taking up space and a power outlet if I don't need it? :confused:

Because a modem, modems (modulates), and a router, routes (+handles authentication).

A modem just converts the signals. The intelligence is in the router to deliver and source packets.

Soldato
I too, only use a wired connection.
Nothing beats a hard wire ;)
Unfortunately, my understanding is that you have the 2 boxes...the wire from the modem cannot be connected directly to the PC.

I also notice that the modem gets VERY hot.

Associate
I spoke to sky today and they said the engineer will have all the kit including data extension to connect from my router downstairs to.my pc upstairs. Could be interesting when the guy turns up and does not want to do it.

Associate
I spoke to sky today and they said the engineer will have all the kit including data extension to connect from my router downstairs to.my pc upstairs. Could be interesting when the guy turns up and does not want to do it.

The engineer will tack the extension cable to the top of your skirting board. If you want it hidden under carpets you should lay your own cable before he arrives.

Associate
Just got my installation date through - 22nd August :D

So looking forward to it after 5 years of crappy 1.5Mb.

Same date as me :D

To work out the speed through FTTC, isn't it current speed x 12.5?

If so, you should get around 18.5Mb, that's not brilliant for fibre but a hugh improvement over 1.5Mb.

I currently get 5Mb so should max out the 40Mb package, need more storage.

Soldato
No. The uplift varies from cab to cab. http://fttc-check.alc.im

My uplift says 5.94. I'm on 8Mb at the moment, so fibre should get me 48Mb? Bt checker reckons 68Mb, Sky just says 40Mb as that's all they are offering me on website.

Should get 40Mb then? or is it wait and see again?. As when I went with Be* they said 10-15Mb and everyone said they are normally conservative with the estimate, yet I get 8mb :( (where it should be for my line stats).

Back
Top Bottom