Sky Fibre Optic

Soldato
I got a 2820n working on Sky fibre the other month?

Cool is it just a matter of installing the latest firmware and following the instructions in the draytek forums?

I am on holiday until Thursday and I need to get some antennas for it as it did not have any attached but I hope to have a go at the weekend.

Caporegime
Anyone got a Cisco 887VA working on Sky, will hopefully be moving home and having thoughts around IT kit and so forth.

TBH, I'm also mulling dumping Sky FTTC and their TV for bog standard ADSL as I don't game etc. Watching Netflix is about my limit these days along with virtualisation

I would check what speeds you'll get through DSL before changing!

Associate
Butting in a bit here but can get an upgrade to fibre for just £10 a month. What sort of % increase in speeds do you usually see going from BB -> Fibre?

Associate
Butting in a bit here but can get an upgrade to fibre for just £10 a month. What sort of % increase in speeds do you usually see going from BB -> Fibre?

Will need to check your line on their site. For me Fibre is marginally better than BB but not enough to justify the expense. I'd get at most an extra 5 mb/s.

Soldato

Slap your line number in here https://www.dslchecker.bt.com - it's massively dependent how far you are from the cabinet, as oppose to the cabinet + exchange as per ADSL

Our row of 4 houses went from 1.2Mb/s to 26Mb/s :D

Associate
I spoke to them via the web app yesterday to cancel our current ADSL broadband with them following placing an order for infinity 2 with BT on Friday.

The guy offered 12 months 80/20 for £20 a month and free line rental for 12 months normally £15 odd a month. Ended up cancelling the BT order and staying with sky on the fibre pro unlimited package.

Associate
Nope no deal on TV unfortunately. I did ask if they could do something for the sports channels but they couldn't. We only have the standard package anyway.

Soldato
First advisor I spoke to re moving home said I'd have to extend the contract till Aug 2015 instead of Jan 2015. Somehow I feel that was an incorrect answer, so I left it at that.

Post code of my new area seems to have good connectivity options with the various providers BT/Sky/Virgin etc.

Associate
Nope no deal on TV unfortunately. I did ask if they could do something for the sports channels but they couldn't. We only have the standard package anyway.

That's a bummer, still a fab deal on the phone & broadband though.

I'm thinking of ditching our Sky TV, we only have the basic plus HD and hardly ever watch non-freeview channels. But I'm hoping I may be able to score a similar deal on the phone & broadband. Does anyone happen to know if the TV, phone and broadband contracts are linked?

Associate
I kept telling him I had already agreed and taken out a contract with BT for infinity and was moving to them to get BT sport. Whether that was an incentive for him to offer the two deals (fibre for £20 and free line rental) I'm not sure.

Soldato
Indeed it's a good deal, they very very rarely have any room to play with on Sports as it's a major money maker, infact the only time i've ever seen a deal on Sports was when BT Sport officially launched, and even then it wasnt a great discount.

I'm going to ring up this week to get some haggling, out of minimum term now and will use the cheaper Plusnet prices to argue some discount, hopefully.

Associate
Just had an email off of them staying the activation date is the 29th. Not within the 6 days the rep had assured me it would be. I'm not overly bothered by the extra wait....... the 29th was the date BT had given me for infinity.

Back
Top Bottom