Sky internet speed doubling for free

Associate
iv not heard anything yet but been keeping an eye out to see when they start upgrading others.
i was considering going back to fibre max anyway so il just wait.

Soldato
OP
iv not heard anything yet but been keeping an eye out to see when they start upgrading others.
i was considering going back to fibre max anyway so il just wait.
I'll phone them up and have a little whine about not hearing anything and see what they say :)

Soldato
I'll phone them up and have a little whine about not hearing anything and see what they say :)

Given the normal industry process is to put a change freeze in place over Christmas as they don’t want to screw anything up due to holiday commitments and people making use of the services provided more at this time of year, the odds of a change taking place now are minimal. Besides it’s only 2 weeks into December, they said between ‘December and spring’. Sit back and be patient.

Caporegime
This is presumably just to push their average speeds up since Ofcom stopped services being advertised as "up to 80Mbps" and "up to 40Mbps". Ultimately another pointless bit of fiddling from them.

Associate
I got upgraded yesterday, My download speed hasn't increased but the upload speed has, Been on the phone to sky they seem to think the download speed will change in 24 hours.

Anyone had the upgrade yet? Did you receive a new router?

I didn't get a new router.

Soldato
Anyone had the upgrade yet? Did you receive a new router?

If you’re on FTTC (and obviously to go from one FTTC profile to another you need to be), then the router they originally supplied you with is perfectly capable of anything up to 80/20 which is what’s on offer. You don’t need (and Sky won’t send) you a new router, unless you want to seek one as part of a contract renewal or the existing one is faulty and eligible for replacement or you choose to pay for a new one (hint: don’t).

This is the same move BT pulled in order to increase it’s averages a while back.

Associate
I got upgraded yesterday, My download speed hasn't increased but the upload speed has, Been on the phone to sky they seem to think the download speed will change in 24 hours.

So is it normal for the upload speed to increase but not the download speed, I'm still getting 40 mbps where my upload is now 19mbps.

Associate
The router stats show I'm getting the new speeds Download: 73994 kbps Upstream: 20000 kbps.

But when doing a speed test I get 40.77 mbps for Download but my Upload is 19.29 mbps, I'm using Speedofme for testing as that's what sky told me to use.

I normally use speedtest and I get 38 mbps for Download like i always had before the upgrade but now I get 18.44 mbps for Upload.

Last edited:
Associate
Looks like Sky were telling the truth:)

Speedtest Result: Download 75.10 mbps Upload: 18.23 mbps

Speedofme Result: Download 72.92 mbps Upload: 18.33 mbps

So anyone getting a upgrade and you see it's just your upload that's increased just give it time.:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom