Sky Q and Router set up

Associate
Hi,

Recently started having connectivity issues between x2 Sky Q boxes upstairs and the main SKy Q box downstairs (main Sky Q box is connected directly to the router via ethernet).
Have reset and synced them to each other again, but still losing connections frequently.

I have Virgin fibre (getting around 380mb download) and am using a Archer C9 Router.
I already have a Ubiquiti Lite AP and a new Ubiquiti LR is arriving tomorrow.

Do I leave the Sky Q boxes set up on their own mesh network and keep the access points purely for internet coverage all over the house - or do something different?

Thanks

Soldato
Latest firmware installed on the Archer C9?

Have you checked to see if there's a lot of congestion on the Wifi channels your router is using? Are all the other Wifi devices connecting OK?

Associate
OP
Hi,

Thanks for the response.
Yes, latest firmware installed.

I have managed to connect the mini-hub furthest away from the router with an ethernet cable, so will see how that goes.
I have the AP Lite covering upstairs and the AP LR covering downstairs and the garden.
Seems a good signal all over the house now.

Guessing that the sky Q boxes connect to each other on their own mesh system.

Will check for wifi congestion as soon as I get a minute this weekend.

Caporegime
They connect to each other on their own private network for use only by the Q. I'd consider changing the frequency of your 5GHz Network though as Sky use Ch 36 and your Router may also be using 36.

Associate
OP
I did x2 things:
I changed the wifi channel on the router 5ghz connection to channel 42 (as sky Q uses ch36) - as suggested above.
I also managed to connect the sky Q box furthest away from the router via ethernet.

Soldato
I have SkyQ. When it works, it's great. When you get these problems, it's very frustrating.

I'm glad you got it sorted.

My box doesn't like my guest network.

And I find I need to reset one of the boxes (SkyQ main and 3 x SkyQ minis) once a week.

Associate
OP
Mine has been absolutely fine since - hopefully solved it at last, as it was really annoying.
The boxes are a few years old now, so not sure if the wifi gets weaker on them with age?
Putting ethernet to the furthest one seem to have helped massively

Soldato
Happy to be proven wrong on this, but I'm not sure if you can unless your broadband is provided by Sky.

Your main box can be, but the miniQs work off the secondary WiFi network that the Sky box creates.

Back
Top Bottom