*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Soldato
I can't change anything online, it says I have to call up. Didn't manage last night.

If you're trying to upgrade a package you can normally do it online. Downgrades however they get you into either an online chat or phone - gives them more opportunity to "haggle" more cash from you :)

Soldato
I just cancelled Sky.

I was currently paying £60 a month for 40mb Fibre + everything but movies. Last year's discounted rate of £60 expired so the price went back up to £108 or something ridiculous.

Anyways, I cancelled and I just renewed again last night.

I was offered an upgrade to Sky Q 2TB + mini box + Fibre and everything but movies and sports for 12months @ £55. I'm quite pleased with that.

It's funny. I called up a couple times to see if there was any deals and each deal I received was different. Luckily enough I was passed to someone who was Sky Q trained, which resulted in the deal.

Soldato
I just cancelled Sky.

I was currently paying £60 a month for 40mb Fibre + everything but movies. Last year's discounted rate of £60 expired so the price went back up to £108 or something ridiculous.

Anyways, I cancelled and I just renewed again last night.

I was offered an upgrade to Sky Q 2TB + mini box + Fibre and everything but movies and sports for 12months @ £55. I'm quite pleased with that.

It's funny. I called up a couple times to see if there was any deals and each deal I received was different. Luckily enough I was passed to someone who was Sky Q trained, which resulted in the deal.

Pretty impressive, I got nothing close to that otherwise I probably would have gone for it. My problem is they can't do fibre as it locked to BT so half the deals are out of question at moment. Plus until they catch up to virgin speeds I am not too worried about switching.

Once 200-300Mbs get standard for fibre I will look at deals more closely.

Soldato
Pretty impressive, I got nothing close to that otherwise I probably would have gone for it. My problem is they can't do fibre as it locked to BT so half the deals are out of question at moment. Plus until they catch up to virgin speeds I am not too worried about switching.

Once 200-300Mbs get standard for fibre I will look at deals more closely.

See, that could be the limiting factor for a lot of people. For me, 40Mbs is enough. I barely use the internet at home with only the occasional streaming / web browsing etc.

It was pot luck. If I spoke to another agent who wasn't Sky Q trained, I wouldn't have received that offer and then I would have flat out cancelled. Luckily for me, she was and I got it.

Soldato
Sky FTTC network is better than Virgin's if you get over the headline speed.

I am on FTTP which is why it is locked to BT at moment until the housing estate has been fully adopted by the local council (been 2 years) and at moment the builder is getting supplemented by BT to keep the contract locked to them.

It will be at least another year till I can move out of the BT eco-system for internet.

Although in fairness to BT with their 76Mb package I am getting 89Mb constant and have done for the whole 2 years being at my home. And the fibre support team is UK based rather than Indian so that not awful like their other teams for TV and normal internet/home phone.

Sky just need to push their package to offer FTTP at 200-300Mb by next year and I would be happy to sign up as I have always previous had good service from their support etc.

Soldato
Sky just need to push their package to offer FTTP at 200-300Mb by next year and I would be happy to sign up as I have always previous had good service from their support etc.

Sky have always been excellent with me and we're talking 10+ years using both TV and internet. The hardware provided thankfully has always been good too.

Do sky have plans to upgrade their infrastructure or make use of BTs FTTP? Is that a plan of theirs?

Soldato
Sky have always been excellent with me and we're talking 10+ years using both TV and internet. The hardware provided thankfully has always been good too.

Do sky have plans to upgrade their infrastructure or make use of BTs FTTP? Is that a plan of theirs?

The last Sky engineer I spoke to seemed to suggest it was being discussed however he could have just been saying anything. From what I have seen online it wouldn't be till 2020 though as that is when BT are saying to hit 2 million homes and thus making the market viable. We are at 300k homes at moment.

I can apparently get Infinity 4 but its £50 a month for 12 months. And it has 300Mbs bearing in mind Virgin fibre with all their TV etc is only £55 a month.

Soldato
Sky and other services are losing customers left and right. I left years ago and glad I didn't get suckered into one of these "cheap" deals. I using FreeSat, Netflix and **No piracy talk!!**. Leaving Sky was one of the best things I've done.

Soldato
More price hikes?:-
The price of your broadband is increasing on 1 March 2017 by £2.50 a month. This change will show in your March bill.

The price of your Line Rental is increasing on 1 March 2017 by £1.59 a month. This change will show in your March bill.

Our call rates are increasing on 1 April 2017 and your new rates, showing from your April bill, will be:
Call Connection from 16.9p to 19p
UK Landline from 11.5p/min to 12.54p/min
UK Mobile - Daytime from 11.5p/min to 19.35p/min
UK Mobile - Evening & Weekend from 11.5p/min to 14.25p/min

We're in a contract until June so can't threaten to cancel, but come then... Hopefully the 50% off offers will still be floating about!

Back
Top Bottom