*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Soldato
Retention deals at the moment are horrific, out of contract at the end of Jan and best they could quote me for my existing package was £113 with an 18 month contract extension.

No Virgin presence in my block so I'm pretty stuck. Thinking I'll ditch all the extras and cut the package back to the cheapest I can get it until a new deal comes along.

If you quit and actually leave then send through much better offers, on the 1st of Jan they emailed me £34 a month for TV, sports and cinema.

Soldato
Just to make sure I understand what you're both saying.

I cancel with Sky, and before the termination actually happens I'm likely to receive a much better offer and I can ring up, accept that offer, and stop the cancellation?

I can't afford to actually cancel due to the loss of broadband (I'm working from home) and the fact the Mrs is off work until April and already going stir crazy.

Caporegime
Just to make sure I understand what you're both saying.

I cancel with Sky, and before the termination actually happens I'm likely to receive a much better offer and I can ring up, accept that offer, and stop the cancellation?

I can't afford to actually cancel due to the loss of broadband (I'm working from home) and the fact the Mrs is off work until April and already going stir crazy.
Yes you can stop the cancellation any time and are likely to receive a better offer during the 31 days. Don’t forget though if you’ve turned off all comms methods with sky legally they can’t contact you with offers.

Soldato

What if your broadband went down, how would you work? ;)

The answer: Don't worry just use a phone and put your Hotspot on, if you are worried about data then Smarty is £10 per month for 30 GB no contract, or Unlimited for £18, it £15 if you grab it when I'm offer.

I use one in my router as back up, and the signal is good enough to get 70Mbps down, 45Mbps up.

Soldato
My Sky BB expires in Feb does anyone know if it auto renews or the price goes back to a certain costs and rolls monthly?

I'm looking to drop SkyQ altogether and go down the freesat, streaming route

Thanks

Soldato
My Sky BB expires in Feb does anyone know if it auto renews or the price goes back to a certain costs and rolls monthly?

I'm looking to drop SkyQ altogether and go down the freesat, streaming route

Thanks

With everything SKY in contract once the contract ends it will increase but you will be out of contract and free to leave or renegotiate the price. You can check future bills so log in and check what the prices will be after contract ends. My bills currently show until 26th March. I need to know what it will be in April as my SKY Q Multiscreen ends 25/3/21 and then the rest of my SKY Q package ends 25/6/21. Can't wait to leave them for good sadly I still have BB and Mobile contracts going in to next year and beyond so can't get rid completely.

Soldato
With everything SKY in contract once the contract ends it will increase but you will be out of contract and free to leave or renegotiate the price. You can check future bills so log in and check what the prices will be after contract ends. My bills currently show until 26th March. I need to know what it will be in April as my SKY Q Multiscreen ends 25/3/21 and then the rest of my SKY Q package ends 25/6/21. Can't wait to leave them for good sadly I still have BB and Mobile contracts going in to next year and beyond so can't get rid completely.
Great thanks for confirming, my portal only shows 3 months billing ahead so March is the last I can see..

Soldato
Great thanks for confirming, my portal only shows 3 months billing ahead so March is the last I can see..
yeah, and you said your BB ends in Feb, so March should show an increase if the BB contract has ended and there is a new price to pay.

My bills but what I seem to see is every other person in the world only paying £1 for Sky Kids and £2 for HD. Winds me up I am paying so much for those and I tried negotiating so many times with them to reduce it. They didn't budge.

Soldato
You have to go to Change Your Package and then it will show a white box on top of your package with dates.

Ah lovely thanks :) Although I keep getting the below error every time I go to check? Will keep looking thanks!

Sorry but we are having technical difficulties

Unfortunately, we have not been able to proceed with your order. Please try again later.

Soldato
Trying to help my mother with Sky is a nightmare. There's currently a £25 Basic Sky & Netflix package that she would like to switch to as an existing customer (out of contract) with UHD for a further £10 and the website won't let her. She isn't very knowledgeable at all with technology but feels as a customer for 30 years she should be able to switch to this package.

She rings Sky up and they can't offer her the deal, but offer the same for quite a bit more money per month.

I get why existing customers are so frustrated with Sky, having to go through this each time your contract ends is a real PITA. Loyalty doesn't reward you, it penalises you.

Soldato
I get why existing customers are so frustrated with Sky, having to go through this each time your contract ends is a real PITA. Loyalty doesn't reward you, it penalises you.

Unfortunately until some form of legislation comes in that stops this happening, they will continue to punish those that do the least work, and reward those that abuse the system. They need to be forced to offer the same price to everyone if it is on an advertisement, can you imagine if you went in to Sainsbury's and since you'd shopped there 30 years you paid more for a tin of beans that they advertised on the shelf for 30p less, but only if you hadn't shopped there in the last 14 days.

It is totally scummy and any one defending the practice has serious moral value issues.

Soldato
Unfortunately until some form of legislation comes in that stops this happening, they will continue to punish those that do the least work, and reward those that abuse the system. They need to be forced to offer the same price to everyone if it is on an advertisement, can you imagine if you went in to Sainsbury's and since you'd shopped there 30 years you paid more for a tin of beans that they advertised on the shelf for 30p less, but only if you hadn't shopped there in the last 14 days.

It is totally scummy and any one defending the practice has serious moral value issues.
At what point does negotiation come into that model? What if I can negotiate a price that's lower than the advert? Should that be allowed?

Not so relevant in supermarkets, but in most other trades, it's feasible to get a product/service for cheaper than advertised if you negotiate.

Soldato
At what point does negotiation come into that model? What if I can negotiate a price that's lower than the advert? Should that be allowed?

They advertise prices on the TV, on website etc. The fact that are advertisements means they are promoting that price. I didn't say anything about out of contract negotiations, I only mentioned advertising.

Soldato

Have you dealt with Sky previously when trying to negotiate a deal? If so, are you happy to continue with the existing way Sky does things every 18 months? If not what do you suggest besides @Journey suggesting legislation for equal pricing to new and existing subscribers.

I didn't say anything about out of contract negotiations, I only mentioned advertising.

If we didn't have better offers for new subscribers there wouldn't be a need for existing subscribers to negotiate every 18 months.

Soldato
It just riles me up person A can negotiate to get it all for £40 but person B negotiates the same service but pays £50. Should all be set the same.

It took 4 hours on the phone with Sky today speaking to 6 different people to get an acceptable contract renewal. In the end it was slightly cheaper than the promoted price for new subscribers but speaking for myself I certainly don't feel great about it. I feel exhausted and frankly wish they had just given me the same opportunity as new subscribers and saved me the hassle.

Soldato
My sky bb & phone deal ends 12th of February this year, thinking of moving to virgin M350 bb & phone deal for 18 moths whilst my sky tv package ends 6th of July 2021 as we have 8 people in my property at any one time so the bb gets used all the time so more bandwidth is required! Does that sound sensible atm until fttp hits my area later this year or next?

Associate
Have just renewed mine for 18 months, Sky Q and a Minibox, all channels including Sports and Movies, £44 month.

Pretty happy with that - the best I got offered without starting the cancellation process was £65, so it's crucial to do this first.

Back
Top Bottom