• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Skylake/Kabylake from Haswell - IPC

Associate
Hello all,

I have a 4770k @ 4.2ghz.

Can someone tell me what the IPC gains are from Haswell to sky/Kabylake? i think it's ~10% if my memory serves me well. With all the speculation that ryzen will be on par with kabylake, i see no point in upgrading to either kabylake/ryzen except for the platform benefits from my z87 system.

If Ryzen is on par with kabylake (IPC) unless ryzen can overclock to 4.6 - 5.0 ghz like kaby's it's going to disappoint a few people but price/perf will be amazing.

i digress Can anyone shed any light on the IPC form haswell to kaby?

Associate
OP
Intel are claiming +15% on their 8th gen, so not sure about the ipc gain being pointless.

How many cores do the latest games utilise? e.g. for honor etc..

Soldato
You have to ask yourself what do i use my pc for? If it's simply gaming and general use then you already have the fastest processor.

If you use heavily multithreaded workloads and are on a budget is worth waiting to see what Zen offers.

Soldato
Intel are claiming +15% on their 8th gen, so not sure about the ipc gain being pointless.

How many cores do the latest games utilise? e.g. for honor etc..
Yes their quoted 15% for the last generation is utter nonsense so their future claim of 15% is probably equally incorrect.

Skylake has, on average, 5% better IPC than Broadwell, and that's being generous. Kaby Lake IPC is identical but tends to clock ~200 MHz higher.

Man of Honour
IPC gain is minimal and would be a waste of time and money. The only thing that makes a difference is the extra clockspeed and even then it's doubtful if it's worth paying several hundred pounds for a small performance increase. I looked into this when Kabylake launched as the game I play the most is extremely cpu dependant and for the most part single threaded. I decided against it as a waste of money.

Soldato
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/9

Haswell to Skylake (DDR3): Average ~5.7% Up.

Broadwell to Skylake (DDR4): Average ~2.7% Up

On average the IPC from Haswell to Skylake is only 5.7% and from Broadwell to Skylake is less than 3% on average at best.
If Ryzen is beating Broadwell as it appears to be the case going by the leaked benchmarks then Ryzen is going to be very competitive with Skylake aswell.

Kabylake has the same IPC as Skylake as it is just a stepping of skylake.

Back
Top Bottom