Skyrim VR vs Pancake Skyrim

Soldato
Hey, I was playing pancake Skyrim.

However I'm buying a Rift and a 2080 or 1080ti soon. My question is, shall I stop playing pancake skyrim and just wait and buy Skyrim VR and mod it and play that?

I'm currently playing as a mage using KB+M, w/difficulty mods, commonly see myself coming in and out of the spell selection menu to change spell. I imagine this would be horrible in VR and maybe a melee build is more fun to play?

Any opinions please?

Associate
Navigating the menu in VR is horrible and the controls have a very ‘tacked on’ feel (for obvious reasons) But putting those cons aside, SkyrimVR is the best version purely because of the dungeon crawling and exploring a huge open world in VR is amazing, some of the views are just stunning. I never played as a mage as im not interested in magic, I played as an archer and swordsman, bow and arrow in VR just feels amazing (seriously, when you get your Rift, download The Lab, thank me later!)

That said, I only put around 10hours into the game then I gave up, nothing to do with SkyrimVR But I mostly play shooters and I love trying new VR titles plus my game time is limited nowadays. I wouldn’t play pancake Skyrim over SkyrimVR, not a chance

Last edited:
Soldato
Likewise, once you venture out into Skyrim in VR and see the landscape in front of you with all the buildings and structures in VR I can't go back to playing on a flat screen again.

I suspect that's how you'll feel once you get the headset! Trust me when I say that last thing you'll be thinking about is that the menu interface isn't as good.

Soldato
OP
Maybe use the vr headset with gamepad controller? (To get the best of both versions)

I don't think so man.. I've seen the motion controllers with the bow.
The headset + controller would kill any sense of immersion.
Also I use KB+M for skyrim,I find controller awful given how many spells I have equipped via mods lol.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll do sword/archer playthrough in VR. The whole bow mechanic has me really excited. I'll keep my pure mage build to pancake if I go back to it afterwards.

Associate
Ah okay, I should say that I've not played Skyrim at all.
Yes the bow and magic should be awesome with the touch controllers.

I'd be interested to hear how the sword feels, presumably you can just swing through your opponent (or do you learn to halt your motion when the weapon hits the enemy?)

Soldato
Swinging swords isn't great tbh. It has no tactile feedback or anything. They're a lot more satisfying in non-VR, although you do have a better view of them, which is nice when you have pretty weapon mods.

Swing through or halt a bit. Either works.

Overall, I love the VR version. It's far from perfect, but as the guys earlier said, it's amazing to be in the world, rather than looking at it through a window - especially when you mod the crap out of it.

Soldato
Since I got Skyrim VR I've played virtually (no pun intended) nothing else. The controls aren't brilliant (designed really around the Vive wand limitations), but the feeling of actually being there in that world is incredible - and I've played over 200 hours in Flatrim.
Modding the game with better graphics and various gameplay improvements is essential though, and helps making it seem fresher.

Soldato
Skyrim looks really nice in VR, but the controls aren't great. Melee is terrible as it simply plays the old canned animations in the background and there's no feedback at all with it.

It's not really a VR game tbh.

Soldato
Skyrim looks really nice in VR, but the controls aren't great. Melee is terrible as it simply plays the old canned animations in the background and there's no feedback at all with it.

It's not really a VR game tbh.

That's why it's best to play as an archer or magic user.

Asa

Asa

Associate
Hey, I was playing pancake Skyrim.

However I'm buying a Rift and a 2080 or 1080ti soon. My question is, shall I stop playing pancake skyrim and just wait and buy Skyrim VR and mod it and play that?

I'm currently playing as a mage using KB+M, w/difficulty mods, commonly see myself coming in and out of the spell selection menu to change spell. I imagine this would be horrible in VR and maybe a melee build is more fun to play?

Any opinions please?

Get Way of the Voice and Dragonborn Speaks Naturally. Utterly utterly transformative. The first lets you say spell names to equip them, and the second let's you interact with NPCs by reading the text lines aloud. I can't overstate how cool that mod is.

Melee feels ok with a couple of ini tweaks and a the mortal enemies mod, but it is a bit flappy as it lacks good block/parry mechanics.

I use a mix of spells and a mace, and yes it is so so much better than pancake.

Soldato
OP
o
Get Way of the Voice and Dragonborn Speaks Naturally. Utterly utterly transformative. The first lets you say spell names to equip them, and the second let's you interact with NPCs by reading the text lines aloud. I can't overstate how cool that mod is.

Melee feels ok with a couple of ini tweaks and a the mortal enemies mod, but it is a bit flappy as it lacks good block/parry mechanics.

I use a mix of spells and a mace, and yes it is so so much better than pancake.

ok... now that is EPIC.

Asa

Asa

Associate
Except you sound like a loon when you say the lines and your daughter is playing games on her computer right next to you. :rolleyes:

I now only use Dragonborn Speaks naturally when alone. :D
I'm ok with the kids hearing weird dialogue. The problem is it trips something in my brain, and I keep talking. "F you, bandit pr***!" is becoming something of a catchphrase.

Associate
I bought skyrim vr on a whim thinking i would get into it. the pancake version never really appealed to me, and this one hasnt either; I always thought there were better mmorpgs that outclass anything skyrim has to offer to pump loads of time into. I payed £30 off cdkeys and I've played an hour and it doesnt really appeal to me to continue - feel gutted I spent so much on the game and like I have to now complete as as theres no way of getting a refund or even handing the game over at a ultra low cost to someone else as its in my steam library now.

Maybe it's the fact I just like casual games these days that i can pick up and play without too much thought and not any in depth stories I have to think about long term. Although 200-300 hours is good value for money, the thought of spending that much time to complete one game seems a bit daunting to me.

If you already like skyrim I would see the appeal. A dragon flying over your head etc. the sword is a bit clunky but the bow is pretty decent to fire and not too sure about magic as I never got that far through it.

Back
Top Bottom