SLEEP - when do you start, how long, and when do you get up?

Associate
As you can tell from the time of posting, my sleep cycle is all over the place thanks to recent exams and all nighters while studying for them.
The earliest I have gone to bed all year was probably at 11:00 (I know people who sleep at 9:00 :eek:)
I usually sleep at around 3:00 and get up at 9:00. (not great I know)
And the odd thing is that I find it easy to actually fall asleep I can decide to sleep/nap whenever and I will usually fall asleep in minutes, I just spend way too long gaming/browsing.

Associate
OP
The older I get the more I realise the importance of sleep and a healthy sleeping schedule. These days I'm generally in bed and asleep by 10pm and get up around 5:30-6am. That's around 8 hours sleep or just shy of which is enough for me.
This! This is what I'm aiming for, I work better in the mornings too and 8 hours of sleep would be great, seeing as I'm a student, and the more sleep you get the better your brain functions.

Around 4 to 5 hours for me (not through choice, I am constantly knackered).
Yeah, those are the kind of hours I got most of last year, due to assignments set by uni and leaving a lot of work last minute.

Weirdly the more I sleep, the harder it is to wake up. Usually I can sleep for 4-6 hours and be able to get out of bed easily when I wake up. If I get more sleep (say 8 hours) I will feel really tired and struggle to even open my eyes.
This is exactly me, but this apparently because your body takes a while to adjust to your new sleep routine, so getting more/less sleep than usually get, can make you feel tired, it certainly does with me.

I've been thinking about this myself recently. Since I started coding, around 3 or 4 months ago, I have slept less. I used to be in bed and asleep between 10:30 and 11pm and would wake around 6am. Now, quite often I'm up past midnight or 1am, then still wake at 5:30/6am and often feel tired through the day.

I've always had a problem of not being able to sleep in. If I get back from a night out, asleep by 4am, I will wake at 8am.

Last night I thought I'd get an 'early night' (compared to recently) and was alseep by 11am. I then woke at 5:30am... Is it worth trying to sleep earlier? I just wake up silly early. One time I woke at 4:30am...
Yeah, it's annoying when you have to meet a deadline, especially when you're working at a computer, the blue wavelength of light from the screen is what supposedly keeps you up for longer than usual, and is also the cause of eye strain. (I find myself lowering my monitor brightness, the eye pain gets bad, :o)

I have two young children.

I haven't slept properly in years.

Last night was a better night... after being up at 3am the night before, 9 hour day, home and cooked meal for visiting guests, cleared up, mowed the lawn, did some paperwork, bed by 10pm and then woken at 2:45am and that was it.

I haven't slept past 5am in months.

Kill me now. Please
Sounds like you had a ridiculously busy day, but looks like you did get a lot done, my days are much less productive when I'm at home and that's on a day off. But around 5 hours of sleep and being up that early is crazy, I don't think I've even woken up at 3 in the morning.

In general in bed around 2230 and up around 0600. Weekend around 2300 up at 0700 which is fab to have a bit of a lie in. :)

I like getting up and getting on with my day.
I can tell, with a post count of 86,514 it certainly looks like you get a lot done during your day. :)

Associate
OP
Yup. Gym, 10+hrs at work, 3hrs of commuting, family time, a bit of DIY, a bit of studying.

Don't judge a member by their post count ;) and don't be a **** ;)
Re-reading what I wrote, I can understand why you took it the wrong way, sorry, I didn't mean it like that at all, I wasn't being sarcastic, I genuinely meant you get a lot done. Sorry if it offended you.

Back
Top Bottom