Slightly odd speeding query

Caporegime
My father has just recieved a NIP, detailing 72MPH in a 60 zone, on the A5 near Crick, on the 7th May 2005, but MY numberplate.

Those of you who recognise that date (and the location) will realise that this was the time I was driving home from silverstone after the SuperGT camping meet. And here-in lie my querys:

1) The car has never and will never be registered in my father's name, so how did they get this information?

2) The V5 is in my name, however, the car was only bought a few weeks prior to the alleged incident, and as such it is possible the DVLA database showed the old owner as the registered keeper at the point of sending out the NIP.

3) The NIP is well beyond the 14 day rule, even allowing for postage. However the law states that in the cases of "company car drivers", "hired/borrowed cars", or "someone else's car", they have more time to find the owner. I fall into none of those categories, however this is going to be pretty borderline is it not?

4) Who has to and what has to be done with the NIP addressed to my father? Does he have to give my name, or is this a case of he sends the form back stating it was not himself?

I will ask the same questions on pepipoo, however their forums are always slow for responses.

What do you think guys?

Caporegime
OP
I have the V5 infront of me, the car is most definately in my name and no-one elses. I assume the way the police got the information was sending a NIP to the old owner, who must have contacted the garage where I bought the car, who in turn must have given out the name of the person who wrote the deposit cheque (being my father).

Caporegime
OP
lol @ John! i was hesitating overtaking that guy, thats why i was "slacking" lol!

Not going to lie, nor get my father to lie. Will most likely just take it, my insurance only goes up £30 for it anyway.

Caporegime
OP
thebrasso said:
I'd go as far as saying he should point out that you are the registered owner of the car. Then he can't be done for trying to pervert the course of justice or something by denying knowledge of a car that is parked outside his house every day.

He isn't asked to provide that information. The NIP purely asks if the car is his, if it isn't then that is all the information needed.

I will ask a professional about this, but in no way will I implicate myself if it is not a legal requirement to.

Caporegime
OP
The only thing the NIP refers to with regard to naming a driver is in the event of your car being lent to someone else. This is not the case here, as the car is mine, in my name.

Back
Top Bottom